Musical instruments Flute question?

I would like to get a flute for my oldest sisters birthday. She is the most important person to me in the world paper thin under my actual mom. She has always been basically my mom. She has bailed me out of anything and always defends and she is my closest friend. I have no idea at all about musical instruments and I want it to be a surprise. I want something very nice but not extreme. Something around a thousand. Little less little more. Something she can keep and really treasure forever thank you kind people!

You talked a lot about your relationship with your sister but fail mention her musical interest. Just that you want to get her a flute, but you didn't say if she wants or plays the flute.

• mars

A Yamaha 'Gold-brass' Alto flute. Plays great, has stable resale value ($6550).

Source(s): Carolyn Nussbaum Music Company

I am a professional flutist, flute teacher, and competition judge since 1973 here in NY.  I have helped students choose and buy hundreds of flutes in that time.  This is more complicated than it seems, and for that reason, I ask you NOT to do this. There are reputable instruments out there, and there is flashy trash.  If there is someone like me near you, then perhaps they could assist you - but it is really your SISTER that would need the guidance.  Without help, you might get week end up paying for something that is not right for her.  Does she play already?  Has she had - or does she now have - a qualified flute teacher - NOT just the band director?  There is a checklist of things you need to know when buying any instrument - which is why so many people QUIT - what they picked out, or were steered to in a store or online, was not the right choice for them.  So do not  even get a gift card to a certain music store or site.  I could list all the possible choices, etc. but it would be meaningless unless I spoke personally with her - and if she plays, heard and SAW her play.  Write her a nice card, talk it over - but get local professional help - NOT at the music store, who will still you what they want to SELL.  This is a very generous and important thing you are planning - let's do it RIGHT.  

• Me2

I'd be comfortable recommending Yamaha's entry-level YFL-222, which sells for about $1000usd.   As you have no way to determine any problems used flutes may have, I'd advise against buying one.

• Mamianka

Shot in the dark on that Yamaha - even year and location in manufacturer of THAT ONE is dicey. And those also run high in price compared to superior student instruments.  

Unless you know as much (or more) about flutes and their characteristics than your sister, it might be better to by a gift certificate rather than the instrument itself.

• Mamianka

Even a GC - shops operate on franchise, so push what they HAVE.