Abhay asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

I compulsively daydream and get distracted?

Main problem

I unintentionally start dreaming up scenarios thinking of which gives me pleasure. Sometimes this happens while I am doing a task otherwise I completely stop doing what I was doing to daydream. This happens at a frequency of around 10 times an hour. Not paying complete attention to the activity at hand often leads to mistakes. Sometimes instead of scenarios, I have music playing in the back of my head. All this is involuntary and I can’t get it to stop.

Additional info-

I also have chronic procrastination problem. Without external influence, I study at most 5 hours a week by myself. The problem doesn’t occur if i’m playing video games or watching youtube videos.

I also exhibit symptoms of ocd. I have not gotten it diagnosed

Often when I set time aside for doing something productive, I end up doing something trivial but mildly related. Like arranging books instead of studying.

I wish to know what exactly this condition/s(main problem) is called, so I can find online resources for it. Also requesting any literature, websites where I can find solutions for this.

I suggest going to Wild Minds Network. Psychologists talk about what they call maladaptive daydreaming. It's not officially recognized as a disorder but some people are getting therapy for it. There's a test for it.

I'll tell you a couple of simple tricks that I've found to be very useful. I used to have a terrible problem with procrastination, and these things helped me greatly.

This is useful for all kinds of things you don't feel like doing. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. Or start by just cleaning the kitchen counters. Homework - start by proofreading a paper or by previewing a chapter you're about to read, looking at headings, sub-headings, etc.

Short breaks are good but always watch the clock. Look for natural breaks, like after you finish a chapter or write an outline.

Staying on task - if you find yourself dawdling, wasting time while you're working, here's a simple fix. Decide how much time it will take to get a task done and do it in that time, watching the clock.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

When I really am too tired to work, I can sometimes use the couch method to come up with a good idea that I can jot down and work on later.

• Papa-G

consider three major symptoms of ADHD.

Inattentiveness: The child with ADHD cannot filter out unimportant detail and focus on one topic. Thus, he is easily distracted by extraneous sights, sounds, and smells.* He is paying attention, but no single feature in his environment stands out. He cannot determine which one deserves his primary concentration.

Impulsive behavior: The ADHD child acts before he thinks, without considering the consequences. He shows poor planning and judgment, and at times his actions are dangerous. “He rushes into the street, onto the ledge, up the tree,” writes Dr. Paul Wender. “As a result he receives more than his share of cuts, bruises, abrasions, and trips to the doctor.”

Hyperactivity: Hyperactive children are constantly fidgeting. They cannot sit still. “Even when they are older,” Dr. Gordon Serfontein writes in his book The Hidden Handicap, “careful observation will reveal some form of continuous movement involving the legs, feet, arms, hands, lips or tongue.”

Yet, some children who are inattentive and impulsive are not hyperactive. Their disorder is sometimes referred to simply as Attention Deficit Disorder, or ADD. Dr. Ronald Goldberg explains that ADD “can occur without any hyperactivity at all. Or it can occur with any degree of hyperactivity—from barely noticeable, through rather annoying, to highly disabling.”

In recent years doctors have found that ADHD is not just a childhood condition. “Typically,” says Dr. Larry Silver, “parents will bring in a child for treatment and say, ‘I was the same when I was a kid.’ Then they’ll admit they still have problems waiting in line, sitting through meetings, getting things done.” It is now believed that about half of all children with ADHD carry at least some of their symptoms into adolescence and adulthood.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101997122#h=5:...

This happens to me all the time as well. Whenever I start doing something I'm not interested in at all like studying, I end up daydreaming. I try to focus on the task when I realize what I'm doing but sometimes I find so much pleasure in a daydream that I stop focusing on the task at hand and deliberately start daydreaming. My guess is that we need to find something interesting in our lives to become fully involved in it and then we will get productive. Its possible we're depressed and can't find interest in our routine activities so we unconsciously slip into daydreams. Its a complicated thing. I need some help too. I think we hate reality so much that we distract ourselves from thinking about it by daydreaming. The pain is too much to handle.