Is it considered mean to tell a homeless person to "Get a job!!"?!?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Definitely.    

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I'm pretty sure they've heard it before.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think it is.  You don't know why they are homeless.  Most homeless people have severe mental disorders.  Many are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol.  Some have lost their jobs, have been unable to find new ones and lost their places of residence when they could no longer pay the mortgage or rent.

But you know what?  It doesn't really matter WHY they are homeless.  It doesn't matter if you approve of their reason or you don't.  It isn't for anyone to judge.  It is what it is.

If anything you should show them compassion.  Do you seriously think these people are in this situation by choice?

• Erik
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

No, but they're in this situation because of their choices.

• 1 month ago

Perhaps it is a little mean.  But really depends on your relationship to the homeless person.  If you are walking by this person who may have only been there for a day or two, and you said that haven't never been bothered by this person ever, that's pretty mean.  You do not know this person's reasons for being homeless.  Perhaps mental illness, recently divorced or spouse/significant other kicked them to the curb.  Parents kicked their kids out at a young age, or perhaps the person just lost their job due to Covid 19 a couple months back.  You do not know this person's life or situation and everyone has a different story.

Now if you see this person daily and they've been panhandling all the time and ask you every day for a long time, perhaps maybe but still you do not know their circumstances.  Perhaps better to get to know them and figure out how you can help them get a job.  Some may not have the means.  If they are living on the street and go and apply for a job, how do they get contacted that there may be an opening or a job position for them?  How does the company contact the homeless person?  

There's a lot of difficulties surrounding homelessness.  That I am not aware of.  How aware are you of all of those?

I used to be similar in thought when I was younger, how come these people that panhandle all the time don't just get jobs. Go work for MCDs or something.  Or go to a Temp Agency.  It's not that easy to do. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.