Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Atheists, what do you think of scientific study that reveals even murderers and criminals see themselves as "good people"?

This guy writes, "Perhaps the most surprising discovery in my early years of trying to understand the criminal mind was that, without exception, offenders regard themselves as good human beings. No matter how long their trail of carnage, no matter what suffering they caused others, every one of them retained the view that he is a good person."

He hypothesizes since the criminals cannot experience remorse they have lost the capacity to see themselves as they truly are.

But isn't it weird all the atheist on here almost unanimously say they are "good people"?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/inside-the...

Update:

It shows a human being cannot objectively conclude whether they are good

Update 2:

Adolf Hitler thought he was good

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

In regard to atheists and criminals, it is a matter of survival for criminals. To ask them if they are sorry for what they have done on the condition of release you would get a different story. Some give you the bad as s attitude again just to survive it is more an act than anything else. The people you describe are the criminally insane.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

It's true.  Even the most heinous felon has a good excuse for the crimes they committed.  My bro in law is a retired police lieutenant; some of the stories he told me about the excuses he's heard for killing, maiming, robbing, etc. are really bizarre.

• 1 month ago

Most people are good people. It's the bad ones that make the news.

• 1 month ago

That is not my experience. I have known criminals who do not regard themselves as good people and recognise that what they have done is wrong.

In the end, though, there is no objective measure of right and wrong, so it is not too surprising that some murderers regard themselves as good people.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • tenn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I guess that explains how the jails can be filled with Christians who still consider themselves "good people."

• 1 month ago

Ethicists have been working on the topic of moral estrangement for some time. It's not a topic that lends itself well to summary, but there's a sort of "two-ness" that comes into play among people that perform acts of grave evil, whereby they can't bring themselves to identify with the evil action for fairly well-understood psychological reasons, and attribute the evil action to a past self, or a lack of autonomy, or an aspect of themselves which they don't recognize as crucial to their conception of personal identity. 

Frankfurt has probably the most robust explanation of this phenomenon.

But, it would definitely explain why it's so hard to get a Christian to admit that they've done anything wrong.

It's easier to get atheists to admit that. Not trivially so, but definitely easier than Christians.

• 1 month ago

No, that is not weird at all, considering that many mass murderers are nearly completely amoral and thus lack a sense of empathy. Compound this with many criminals have a sense of morality, i.e. things that are acceptable/unacceptable by their peers, along with various social-economic factors, it is only to be expected.

Realistically, I'd say that the response to this is: "Really, what took you so long to realize this?" 

Edit:

BTW: That is not a scientific study, or anything close to it.

• Jeff
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Explains why christian view themselves that way, 

even after all the crap they do to children and other people.

christianity has killed more people than any other group in earth's history.

• Jeff
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Are you suggesting that this explains why Orange Don buys whores and sexually assaults women - and then brags about it?  If so, you may have a point.

• 1 month ago

Atheists do not believe in gods. That's it. That is all you can say about atheists and all we have in common. I really do not know why such a simple concept is so difficult for some people to understand.

If you look at the religious affiliation of prisoners in American gaols, you will find that less than half of 1% are atheist while atheists make up 15-20%  of the general population. Atheists are good people, it is the Christian criminals claiming to be good you should be worrying about.

• 1 month ago

Something like good people but just a minor bump in their moral compass.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.