Is Trump the first president in your lifetime who hasn't even tried to unite Americans?

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.”

— 4-Star Gen. James Mattis, Trump's former Secretary of Defense

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Nixon wasn't great at uniting and had no problem being divisive.  Trump actually tries to be divisive to fire up his foollowers.

• 1 month ago

lets try and lower the standard of politics to something POTENTIALLY the idiot left can understand.  we NOW have a better economy more jobs and cheaper gas.  unless youre a brainwashed clinton/obama worshipper, this would be a great job of uniting the country.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Sounds like Mattis hates Trump and will say anything to insult him.  

I've seen this claim that Trump tries to divide America, but I've yet to see one single valid example of this.  It must be the most sublime, nuanced thing Trump has ever done.

• 1 month ago

Trump is the first President in US history to be completely controlled by Jews. Other Presidents were just mostly controlled by Jews 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No.  Obama was. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.