Tub water won’t go down!?

So originally when we would shower the water wouldn’t go down while we were in there. 

I tried fixing it by putting baking powder and vinegar and hot water. 

Didn’t work 

We have the snake took out it’s not capturing any hair 

Now the water won’t go down at all what do I do???

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Pull the plug and look down the hole.  You should see a "+" blocking the way.  This stops large chunks of soap from getting stuck in the trap (which is a U shape in the pipe meant to hold water all the time as it stops the smell of sewer to float into the house)   If you have a chrome type drain you can see the chrome circle in the tub around the drain opening the the "+" cross will be chrome  .  Others may be white or black.  I have chrome.  So that is what I describe...STICK YOU POINTER FINGER DOWN THE DRAIN HOLE until it stops on the "+"  Hopefully you have thin piano fingers.  Now using a fingernail " imagine you are scraping from one end to another on the CROSS and scratching off the crud.  Now in the same motion drag that fingernail up the side of the drain dragging up that crud into the bathtub.  There will be hair.  You can grab it with the other hand and pull it out of the tub.  

. Do the other arm of the "+"  Maybe the wife has to do this or maybe a kid (I think I have small fingers)  My fingers work better than any tool. 

"That is what SHE SAID"

Anyways,you will pull out more hair and GUMBO.  The gumbo is soap, hair conditioner, shampoo, decomposing skin, dirt and spit and sweat.  You lose hundreds of hair a day.  So it is normal.  This is where they get their DNA evidence from.

I want to STOP RIGHT HERE AND CORRECT YOU.  BAKING SODA is an alkaline to Neutralize stomach acid(make it more like water)

VINEGAR is an Acid. so mixing it together made....Jonny?    WATER or something just as neutral as water.  So you defeated yourself by mixing the 2 together.  Not that it will do anything because that foaming action only works if you immediately put the plug back in and plug up the air break tube which is the overflow tube which is behind the chrome plate up on the bathtub wall near the spouts.  Behind there is a round pipe that connects to the drain so air flows out that way.  YOU have to plug that one too.  In the bathroom sink it is the oval hole on the edge you can't see looking into the sink (you got to look backwards to see the overflow hole.  This is the air break so that there is no suction and water goes down the drain.

Going back to the tub.As you well know, scalding hot water will not melt hair. So you did nothing. Draino will not melt hair.  No chemical will.

If you can physically remove the hair that way with the pointer finger shaped like a fishhook you will pull up hair.  Throw in the garbage can.  It is only hair and soap.

Once you done that you should be able to look down the drain and see the "X" or "+" that stops the big pieces from going down like diamond rings and earrings and miscellaneous.

Doing it this way saves you from disassembling the plumbing...which is a big deal for a bathtub and not so bad for a sink and everybody can get into the vanity cabinet.

OK?   I will assume you have pulled up a couple of clogs of hair.  We are half way there.   Now go into the kitchen and boil water in some large pots .  I have 2 quart pots so I boil 2 of those and a metal tea kettle and boil water in that.  get a rolling boil.

While you are waiting for the water to boil grab a plastic pail  and bail out the bathtub and toss that water in the toilet.  It is handy and close by and never fills up.  You want as much water out of the tub as you can possibly get.  (no, you don't have to towel it dry, just get it to drain level. by scooping it out.

Now carefully carry a pot back to the bathroom

and into the tub pour the water from standing height so about 4 feet and mainly hit the drain hole so it pounds down the hole like a waterfall.  The water left in the tub would be like a cushion against the "water hammer" and we do not need a cushion right now...but we need an acceptable force against the gumbo in the pipes (which is more soap scum built up over the years and is past the traps...making the drain pipe smaller and smaller with every bath or short shower.   If you ever watch medical shows they show how the arteries get clogged up with fat as it accumulates to the point where no blood flows anymore....this pipe is the artery and the soap scum is the fat build up.

We are flushing it clear by really hot water which melts soap really fast.  Now, you may go through 4 quarts of boiling hot water before you notice it starting to drain.   I mean the water is starting to pile up in the bathtub...you may have to bail a second time to reduce the cushion effect of the surface water and add boiling hot water again JUST INTO THE HOLE  like it is a game.

I have managed to get them going after 2 quarts and once you do that and use up all your hot water off the stove....now turn on the HOT FAUCET FULL BLAST AND LET THE WATER GO DOWN THE DRAIN FOR  AT LEAST 3 MINUTES.  Now you are done.

Mine first happened in the bathroom sink, which was less hair but more gumbo.  Toothpaste, soap, other cleaners, more toothpaste and very little water use in brushing my teeth or washing my hands.  Just a small trickle for both.  That caused a problem for the plumbing goes horizontal in the walls in places so the gumbo just sat there and gelled like jello.  That stopped water drainage.

Use more water.  Pipes are at least 40 feet long, so flushing it all out takes a bit of water.

That is the fix. You won't have a problem after that.

35+yrs handyman

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

We use a wet/dry shop vacuum to suck up and clean our drainage. It works all the time.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Just p!ss down the hole that will clear it

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

drink it problem solved

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

When mild drain openers don't work, it means your clog is further down the pipes. You may need a plumber with a professional snake.  In the meantime, try one of those compressed air drain openers to see if you can shift that clog a bit so the water drains. Standing water in your tub is highly unsanitary. 

• Shark
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

plunger will do it

• 1 month ago

get Drano or similar product at the store and follow directions

• most of the time it is just hair in the trap. Simply use a piece of coat hanger (8 to 10 inches and put a handle on one end of it) then put a small hook on the other end. Put it down the drain and fish around and twist it. Then bring it up slowly. Any hair? Keep trying. You may fool around with the size of the hook. Or even the size of the wire.

• 1 month ago

Simply keep taking showers until the water reaches a depth good enough for you to bathe in. An added bonus would be to also use your new "pool" to sail paper boats in. Hope this helped.

• 1 month ago

Try a plunger or real drain cleaner.

• 1 month ago

So you have something further down in the pipe that is blocking the water flow.  It will need to be cleared.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.