my 15 year old dell desktop has a 80 harddrive and slow can i get more up to date harddrive?

my 8 0 harddrive work and slow can i update to more harddrive

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Luke
    Lv 7
    2 days ago

If you want faster read/write speeds you should clone your hard drive onto an SSD and then stick that in your puter!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

Even if you upgrade the HD, the hardware you have will not support the type of Windows operating system at this time. Time to take this out in the parking lot, and perform a OFFICE SPACE ritual on it. 

• 1 month ago

You can remove the CD/DVD drive and install a second hard drive. You can delete some files and do a disc cleanup. You can ad more ram. You can replace your hard drive with a larger size. There are a lot of things that you can do to get more room or even make it faster.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Time to buy a new one and put a bullet through this computer and put it out of its misery.

• Time to BUILD a new one -- not buy one.  But yes, I agree on the bullet part!  LOL

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can try installing another hard drive as slave and move all your personal files there leaving just the OS and programs in the original drive. The computer will still be slow as hell though.

• 1 month ago

Your only solution is a newer computer.  Your ancient hardware would severely bottleneck anything good anyways

• Yes, exactly!  What are you running, a 32-bit with an Intel 865 chipset?  LOL

• Adrian
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The answer to the question depends on the HDD interface. If it is and IDE/PATA interface (40 pins), it is hard to even find such a drive with that interface. But, if you do find one, a larger drive will likely have a larger built in buffer (buffer ram), and help a little bit in performance. That is about it, maybe a 10-20% improvement in transfer benchmarks is the best I've seen for IDE drives

If the old 80GB is a SATA interface, most of the newer SATA drives will have a larger buffer as well, and in this case, SATA can improve a bit more in overall performance with a larger buffer in the drive. Some older SATA drives were SATA-1, and a newer SATA-2 drive (or -3) may likely work faster, provided the SATA interface on the motherboard is SATA-2 capable.

The final issue, even with IDE or SATA drives, is the RPM of the drive. a 7200rpm drive is faster than a 5400rpm or a 5900rpm drive. If your interface is SATA, a SSD would improve speed as well, more than changing to a newer HDD.

• You can put in a bigger drive - or an additional drive - but it won't make much difference to the speed.  It's time for a new one.

• 1 month ago

Check out the price of new or rebuilt towers.  They are probably about the same cost as rebuilding your antique.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.