Martha asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Is it ok to let a cat walk along the kitchen bench and sleep on the dining room table?

I have recently moved in with my sister who has a cat. While I love cats, I don't agree with them walking along and sitting on the kitchen bench where I prepare my food. I also disagree with the cats bed being placed on the dining room table where I eat as there is cat hair all over it. It is the one thing we argue about. I have said "find me someone who thinks this is ok". She said "you will be disappointed as it is very common" and she knows MANY people who are ok with it. So I am asking the public. Is this common and accepted among cat owners?

• F

I got a new cat recently. ( adult not a kitten). First thing he does is jump on the kitchen counter. Firm and loud NO, he hasn’t done it again .

( it was as much for his own good as I didn’t want him to step in a hot stove).

Same thing with the table.

I don’t know why some people think it’s acceptable.

Who's house is it? 'Nuff said

YES BUT.. .ONLY IF YOU LICK YOUR CATS BUTT..

So you can't afford your own place and now that you're mooching off your sister you're going to ***** about her pets?

My cats don't do that but they're not my cats.  They're not yours, either.  You're in HER house so whatever SHE wants is up to HER.  Get a job you loser.

This is an animal that craps in a little box, then walks around in that box and digs in that box multiple times a day.

Its unhygenic to let a cat on counters, tables or beds.

I wont eat at a cat owners home for this reason

• Ocimom

While it may be common, its not acceptable if its a place where you eat.  Counters and tables should be places where the cat is not allowed.  Benches where you sit will not hurt anyone.  Just chase the cat off where you prepare food and keep the counter and table free of food.  The cat is less likely to get on the counters/table if there is no food around.  

I own four cats and I don' let them walk all over food prep surfaces. Cats scratch in the dirt, or their litter boxes, which is full of feces and urine. Their paws are NOT clean. The cat hair can be removed, but you need disinfectant to remove any bacteria from cat's paws. It's not sanitary OR acceptable. 

• patty

if u want to prepare food in the kitchen wipe it over with a disinfectant cleaner.Maybe wipe the table over as well before meals.

Yes, many cat owners are ok with this.  

I know quite a few people who actually feed their cats on the kitchen counter.  It keeps dogs and little kids out of the cat's food.  

Only place my cats are not allowed on is the kitchen counters. Everything else, table included, is free reign. Never had an issue with anything. I wipe the table down and they stay off when we eat, actually. Many people DO allow their cats on counters and tables; it's simply not a big deal to them at all. Some people don't and cats can be trained to not jump on certain surfaces. Doesn't mean they don't do it when you're not home, but they know when to jump down and not to get caught. Oh, my kitties will still attempt to jump on the counters, sure, but one look and they jump down. 

• a1 month agoReport

As soon as we left for work, the cat was on the counter. Late husband caught her; we had forgotten something in the house, and hadn't even gotten down the driveway. He got back into the car, and said, "You know we're just an interruption of her day?"