Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 4 months ago

I'd like to replace most of the build on my 9 yr old computer.  Is this a good change?

Current build:

Core i7 2600K @ 4.5 ghz

8 GB 1866 mhz DDR2 RAM

RTX 2060 EVGA video card

256 GB SSD

New Build:

AMD 3900X processor (Or Intel 9700K or 9900K?)

16 GB 3200 mhz DDR4 RAM

Same GPU

1 TB SSD

Well.....I basically said I AM building a mostly new machine, with the exception of the video card and maybe PSU, storage hard drives.  That is a given

And correction.  DDR3 1866 mhz RAM

Jeesh guys. I already said I am replacing most of my parts, including motherboard. Only keeping video card, PSU, storage drives because they're newer. I'm asking about the quality of the new parts

I already upgraded my 2600k to a Ryzen. 

Since the Ryzen 4th Generation processors are entering mass production soon, and since hardware prices are screwed up, I'd say wait until the dust settles. There's too much new hardware coming out by year's end.

Yeah, you'd see better performance with the Ryzen 9 but I don't know if it would knock you out of your seat. The Ryzen 9 would help if you have temporary framerate dips that result from a CPU bottleneck. I can't stress the word temporary enough.

Food for thought! In most of these CPU benchmarks, the person doing the benchmark review is using the best Video card they can get. You have an RTX 2060 so your results won't have as wide of a margin as what you see in those reviews.

I would just keep the one that you have because there is nothing wrong with it.

There is nothing wrong with the quality of the "new" parts. If there were something wrong with them, they would have been pulled from the market.

What is it that this "new" computer is going to do that your "old" computer can't do?

9 year old motherboard will not accept just any upgraded CPU in old socket.  And you will have to stick with AMD or Intel.  Different socket types, no swapping possible.

DDR3 may not be fast enough to make that much difference compared to DDR4.  And a DDR4 means new motherboard.

The old motherboard is linked to the Windows install on the hard disk.  You might have to pay for a new OS if your old one cannot be upgraded.

The PSU might be getting well aged.

Starting to see the big picture?

• keerok

You want to replace most of the build... In effect, you're getting a new computer. All those parts you listed will require you to reinstall from scratch anyway so commit already. Get a whole new computer.

By the time you replace that much, you may as well just buy a new machine.