Help! I just bought this car and its missing a piece inside, simple fix, i thought but nobody knows what its called so i cant look it up!?

Theres a plastic or rubber piece missing from the shifter and it looks horrible. I cant order the piece without knowing what its called. Also Do i have to go to a dealership to order it? Thanks

Where did you buy it? I want to avoid it. Yeah, take it to a dealership & ask the service mechanic. They all have service bays & parts houses. They;ll be glad to help. Once I had a flat & I went to the closest dealership. It was the valve in the stem. They fixed it. No charge.

Please include the year, make and model of your car. The part you're looking for would need to come from the dealer of the car. If your car is older than 8 years old the part you're looking for may still be able to get a new boot from another dealer.

• arther

go to the wreckers and get one if the dealer has it you'll be buying a complete shiftier.

• May2 weeks agoReport

Junk yard?

The part is called a shift lever BOOT. You probably will have to ask your dealer to order it, but you can also try RockAuto.com. You'd give them the make, model and year. There are also online instructions about how to install or remove it. 

• May2 weeks agoReport

Awesome thank you

It is a dealership parts department thing. Go to them directly and show them the picture or explain to them that it COVERS the groove so dirt and coins does not fall in there.  Probably comes only in black.

. I see you are female so guy talk may offend you, so say it is like a pantie liner to cover the vagina with a tighter crevice so the shifter can slide through.  It may be called a shifter boot.

old mechanic

• May2 weeks agoReport

Really? I may be female but im not an idiot when it comes to cars. I know what it is and what it does. Just needed the name of the part. Thanks

its normally plastic rather then metal and is a simple shift cover .looks as though its broken off and fallen away . workshop manual will have a part number and name for part plus help with removal/fitting. simply best  though not cheapest is to drop car into  main dealer or franchise garage . they can not only tell you part name and order it but fit it too.

• May2 weeks agoReport

Thank you! I’ve been told to try to steer clear of the audi dealership as it will be expensive 

• Peter

It's called a 'gear shift gaiter'.

Get one from a junkyard.  You will need to get the whole shifter console. A brand new part from a dealer might cost more than your car.

You didn't say the make and model but you may be able to get a used part at a automotive junk yard. It will be a lot cheaper and just as good.

• Lv 4

yes

Just tell them you need a piece of trim by the shifter.  They will bring up an exploded picture on the computer and the pieces number will be right there.  No need for a specific name.

• M.

Exploded view.  Yes. 
      It shows all the pieces slightly away from each other.