Anonymous

Do private university professors give study guides?

• Lili

Most of my colleagues and I hand out a syllabus, but we don't hand-hold and come up with a detailed "study guide" that tells students exactly what they are supposed to learn.  We regard them as intelligent and capable of figuring that out, from the lectures, class discussion, and the syllabus, which makes it clear what topics we are studying from week to week and what students are expected to read. (I also include a lot of suggested reading.  Students who read at least some of it do better on exams.)

So, I'm not sure what you have in mind by the term "study guide," but I think the syllabus I hand out in my classes is sufficient.  If students think they need more guidance, they can visit me during my office hours (or, more recently, have an online chat with me), and I will do my best to assist them.

Really it depends on the class and the professor. I went to USM, and a lot of my classes didn't need a study guide. Most of the core class professors have a version of study guides, whether it's literal, or just a class devoted to going over what will be on a test, but the more specific classes are typically application or research based so there is no need for one. 

Source(s): online.usm.edu

Sometimes.  How professors choose to conduct their classes is usually up to them.  Every professor I've ever had, or taught for when I was a TA, gave out a syllabus the first day of class which laid out all the assignments (readings, homework, etc), the schedule, and all the policies.  In fact the trend has been for syllabi to become more comprehensive as years have passed.  Professors will always give you a basic rundown of the structure of an upcoming exam (essays vs short answers etc) and the scope of material covered.  Many also will give out specific study guides listing specific topics which may be on the exam.  For example, if an exam is going to have a set of short identifications then a professor may give out a list of a number of topics which those questions may be culled from.

• cool

They will give students a reading list, which details all relevant research and empirical evidence.

If you mean a guide on what to study for on the test, like the topics and general ideas, then most would provide them on a review day.

• John

I had graduated from a private college in 1974, and study guides were neither given by professors nor expected by students.  

Fast forward to the modern times, and I was very surprised to see some (but not all) of my grandson's community college instructors give study guides.  I had at first written the practice off as being something done in CCs, but it seems some 4 year college professors employ them nowadays.  

As a study tip, my grandson did not rely on study guides he was given.  Rather, he made his own study guides for every test in each subject.  It was a method which worked well for him. 

University professors do not spoon-feed children. That was back in elementary school. College is not about pre-digesting info. It's about students thinking, analyzing, applying more advanced & detailed info.

• drip

Doesn’t matter if it is a public state schools or a private school. This is up to each professor. 

My daughter never got a study guide for a test from any of her professors when she was in college,

Sure. Some do. Some don't. Every professor at every university does their own thing to some extent. There isn't a law and rarely any policies regarding those that level of classroom management whether at a public or private university.

Many professors don't waste time on creating study guides -- the provide a syllabus, reading list, and assignments, and expect the students to figure out how best to study. 

Study guides are for high school. In university classes, the materials for the course- textbooks, lecture notes, etc. ARE the study guides. You're responsible for knowing all of the material.