I have to start work Saturday. Very short notice. What should I do?

As you all know, most businesses have been closed for the last few months due to the pandemic. Well I figured my work would open soon since businesses in my city have started opening up. So I already made plans for my weekend and a doctor appointment for next week because I thought I wouldn’t be working. Today at 6:30pm the HR director called me and said I have to come in for a 3 hour meeting tomorrow (Friday) and start work Saturday. This is very short notice. And it sucks because I never work Saturday’s. She said two people will open and two will close. Another crappy thing because I work mid-shift. I’ve been wanting to quit this job for awhile because the pay is terrible and management is terrible. I made way more money collecting unemployment. And I’m not happy to come back and now working a crappy, inflexible schedule. I should’ve been looking for work these past few months but I assumed no one is hiring. Now I’m not sure what to do. I’m really not happy.

I totally feel you on this. Unfortunately unemployment is going to run out and more people are starting to go back anyways with more businesses reopening. Continue to look for other jobs in the mean time but you don't really have much of a choice here. The dr. appt you may be able to work around if you just talk to them and tell them it was pre-planned but you gotta go back to work eventually. 

if you don't like it just quit 

"a hunch" who answered this is best answer.

in the state of oregon they havent processed thousands of claims from like like 2 months ago, fortunalty i got mine.

Well, you have two choices: go into work, or quit. Either way you will lose your unemployment. 

We don't know what state you are in.

Many states are not monitoring unemployment right now, is yours?

Do you submit a weekly claim from that says you are looking for work and that you have to tell them you have been offered work?

If you are doing this, you MIGHT lose unemployment.

The extra unemployment is going to end in about 5 weeks... can you survive on your UI without the extra $600?

Also, saying "I never work on Saturday" is such baby talk right now.

Every day is groundhog day.  What are you going to do on Saturday that you can't do on the other day(s) you have off? It's not like there are weekend events going on....

• Eva

If you refuse to go or quit, your unemployment will be terminated. As you say, you should have been looking for another job in all the time you've had off. Suck it up, go in and do your job. Start looking for a new one. Don't quit this one until you've found another position.

• A Hunch

His unemployment MAY be terminated.  Unemployment is very flexible right now and most states, you don't even need to show proof of anything. 

Well, the unemployment money is going to stop.  So, unless you have a few months of expenses saved up to sustain yourself through a job search, you really don't have a decision here.  You need to go back to work.  

If you chose to quit for the reasons you have given here, then you would have to stop collecting unemployment.

• If it's retail then be prepared to work on weekends, even if you haven't before. In retail you work when they need you to work. Make plans around when you have to work. Also you're more likely to find another job while you're employed. 

You can reschedule a doctor's appointment if it's not a medical emergency. Keep the job you have now. Look for another job that you think you would enjoy doing. When you've found another job, give your boss 2 weeks notice and a resignation letter. 

Decide which is more important to you, the job or your "plans".

• L

First of all, unemployment only pays 65% of what you were earning.  Return to work, because if you don't - the unemployment will STOP.  You can always look for another job later.