Does suicide prevention qualify as one the special circumstances in terms of getting health insurance?

If I don't get health coverage in a month I think I'm going to kill myself. I'm not looking for a hand out, I'm willing to pay for it, but I don't understand why I have to wait for an enrollment period. I feel like this whole process is what is causing my depression. I need meds now, I need to see a doctor now and I'm tired of paying out of pocket. Each time I do it's like I'm being extorted for not having health insurance. Who can I talk to that will get this law changed? It makes no sense, I could win the lottery tomorrow and still not be able to get healthcare. Can I sue my employer for not providing me with coverage? He says it's too expensive for him and it would be cheaper to get my own but they've made it nearly impossible for me to do so. 

I'm not eligible for medicaid because I make over 1000 dollars a month, but I can't get individual health insurance even if I'm willing to pay for it. Why does my employer have more liberties with my healthcare than I do? I shouldn't have to go through my job just to get coverage regardless of where I work. Whether the money comes straight out of my check or I pay for it myself what's the difference? Why are the prices different for employers than it would be for me? How can my job begin my coverage tomorrow if they wanted to but I'd have to until November to apply for it on my own?

• car253

There are FREE suicide prevention places.    Try the National Hotline. 

There are also places for FREE health insurance.   You might want to post your state for more help. https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

No.  It does not qualify as a special circumstance.

If the law is changed back to the way it used to be (before the enrollment periods), then

1) You will not be able to get insurance in most states, because insurance companies will not voluntarily sell health insurance to anyone with depression.  (Currently, they are forced, but only because that was part of the deal that created the enrollment periods; if the enrollment periods are scrapped, then they can and will go back to refuse to sell to anyone with depression).

2) Even if you do somehow get insurance, you won't be able to use it for your depression or to see a doctor for anything already wrong with you for 13-18 months after you first get (and pay for) the insurance.  That also how things were before the deal that created the enrollment periods; if the enrollment periods are scrapped, then they will be that way again.

The prices charged for employers are different because they are buying insurance for many employees, not just one person.

The employer does not have more liberties than you.  The employer also cannot offer you health insurance whenever they want, and gets one chance a certain amount of time after hiring you, and then one chance each year, just like you do.

They cannot began the coverage whenever they want.  There is only one time per year that they can start it, plus one additional time shortly after hiring you.

• Erik

If you won the lottery you could just pay for everything out of pocket.

Just tough it out until November.  That's not very long.  Also suicide hotlines are free.

• A Hunch

He is able to PURCHASE coverage in November.  It's not effective until January 1, 2021. 

• Zarnev

A Hunch gave you a good answer except she didn't answer one question.

Who can I talk to that will get this law changed? President Barrack Obama and the Democratic Congress are those responsible for this law so your Congressman would be whom to speak with your concerns.

Source(s): Independent Ägent
    • car253

President Obama is not president anymore.  No one is going to change anything right now.

I wish we had more DOERS and less talkers.

A specific medical condition is not a qualifying event to get medical insurance = never ever

Qualifying events are based on personal circumstances

- new job / losing a job

- get married / divorced / have a baby

Can I sue my employer for not providing me with coverage?

No.  An employer NEVER has to offer you coverage. 

It would be cheaper to get my own

- if could be cheaper on your own since you would purchase it based on your age, not the average age of the employees and you get to purchase the coverage you want, not what the company is dictating to you.

made it nearly impossible for me to do so.- no, they didn't.  You have the option to purchase it in late 2019 = you didn't bother and now you are belly-aching about it.  Unless you just turned 18, you had the option to purchase it every year and you didn't bother.

Why does my employer have more liberties with my healthcare than I do?

they don't

I shouldn't have to go through my job just to get coverage regardless of where I work.

even if your company offered insurance, you aren't required to purchase it; your work has no bearing on whether you have insurance or not.

Whether the money comes straight out of my check or I pay for it myself what's the difference?

- the main differences is workplace insurance is generally a pre-tax deduction AND often the employer supplements the cost (they pay a portion, instead of you paying the full amount).

Why are the prices different for employers than it would be for me?

- they aren't.  Employers don't get a discount.  They may charge you only a portion of the cost but they are making up for it out of their pocket

How can my job begin my coverage tomorrow if they wanted to but I'd have to until November to apply for it on my own?

- the only times that your employer could begin coverage "tomorrow" is:

you are a new employee and tomorrow is the first time you are eligible for coverage; if you miss the enrollment period, you can't enroll until open enrollment

you moved from a part-time to full time position and tomorrow is the first time you are eligible; if you miss the enrollment period, you can't enroll until open enrollment

tomorrow is open enrollment which happens once per year, just like with private insurance; if you miss the enrollment period, you can't enroll until the next open enrollment (next year)

• A Hunch

The had a lot of questions.  No one asked you to read it.  But you should since you don't understand it yourself. 

• Judy

no.....................................................

• If you can't provide health coverage to someone to prevent them from killing themselves why do health insurance companies exist?