Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

My adult daughter comes to me about her sex life but I feel uncomfortable talking about this. ?

First we have raised all our children to wait until marriage no matter how they old are. Second of all I don’t feel comfortable giving her sex advice. I’m disgusted that she would want to talk to her mother about this. I don’t even want to picture my daughter having sex. I’m sure no one wants that image in their head of their kids. 

She is 29. 

Tell her you feel uncomfortable discussing such things. However I believe you should feel privileged that she feels comfortable talking you in the first place. I used to discuss things with my parents, in fact on occasion I was asked advice from my dad. ( I was an adult myself at by this time) 

I would not let her talk to me 

but I am the dad

but I would not talk of sex acts to my son either 

unless it was relationship not acts of

but it seems you did a poor job raising her  

• April

Lol, why would you feel uncomfortable talking about it? Obviously you had to be sexual once in order for her to be born. Be happy that she trusts you enough to discuss frank issues. If she's 29 and still asking questions, she's been terribly misguided. If you preached abstinence only education, you're very lucky she didn't get pregnant in high school. 

It's foolish to assume people aren't going to experiment sexually during fresh adulthood, married or not. It's what allows our species to continue on. No one really wants to picture their grown kids being sexually active, but it's not going to stop it from happening.

If you're truly uncomfortable with the subject just answer her questions, then remind her at the end of the conversation "You know, our religion doesn't allow sex outside of marriage," and be persistent. You could suggest her to talk to friends or read up about it. 

As parents, we are the first people that our children should find comfort in discussing even these sensitive matters. Based on my experience and observations, most of the children are running to friends or exploring things on their own because they find it discomforting to discuss their curiosities with their parents. For us parents this is a very challenging task, but for me, we should be as realistic as we can in telling these things. They need reliable answers, and not threats or punishments from us.

• edward

Yeah...i don’t talk to my parents about sex.  That’s what friends are for.  My parents were furious when i told them “——(my wife) is pregnant.”  They told me to come home right away.  I was 24 and married at that time.  They lectured me like i was a teen who got his girlfriend pregnant.

• Starlight 1

Sounds like your folks weren't ready to be grandparents yet. Or perhaps they thought you'd picked the wrong woman to marry, Edward. Parents can be that way sometimes.

Interesting story 

• Carl1 month agoReport

who is this fat greeen man???

Please let me catch my breath while I try to stop laughing.  No way, no how are you a parent to anything (much less anyone).  Just by the way this is written, its clear that this is the biggest lot of rubbish.  Only silly trolls would invest this much time in creating what amounts to a fake life.  Good on you that you honestly believe that this registers as anything but tripe.  

Actually, this is very common in Trollsville.  I'm surprised she doesn't want to join you and your husband, this is typically a young troll's first experience.

Why are you disgusted? There's nothing wrong with what your daughter wants to do. If anything, you should be proud of her for being willing to trust you with the intimate details of her life. She's coming to you because she likely feels that she can't trust anybody else about this. And if she can't talk to you because you feel "disgusted" by the very notion of talking about sex (which incidentally is NOT a taboo subject, not any more) then who CAN she talk to?

As for your notion of raising your kids to wait till they're married to have sex, that's a LAUGH. Nobody waits these days. Women have sex before they're married, because that's one of the ways in which they find out who they really are compatible with. Take the British royal family as an example. Do you REALLY THINK that Kate Middleton (who is now the Duchess of Cambridge) and Megan Markle (who is now the Duchess of Sussex) were virgins when they married their husbands, the two princes? OF COURSE NOT. They were in their early 30's, both of them, and Markle had been married once before and divorced. Naturally, they weren't virgins. I know, you were raised in a time when women grew up being brainwashed into thinking that waiting to have sex until marriage was the best way to go. But if you think about it, it really isn't. Your daughter wasn't raised with that kind of influence around her. That doesn't make her a bad person for wanting to have a sex life, with or without a wedding ring on her finger. She deserves to be listened to and not judged.

• Deth1 month agoReport

Definitely agree on this. 

Do you want a close relationship with your daughter or not? Do you want her to feel like she can tell you the truth about her life or not?

This is your choice, of course. But if you want a close, truthful relationship with your daughter, you meet her where she is. It's 2020, women have sex before marriage. You can close your eyes to this, or you can tell your daughter that she can tell you anything and you won't judge. Your choice.