How do we know if IRS has our tax papers or if they have been misplaced? They do no answer e-m,ails or calls.?

If you MAILED them, THEY don't know because they have been warehousing mail since March.

If you sent actual paper (printed documents made from dead trees), then it hasn't been misplaced; they just aren't processing those now because of the virus.

If you e-filed and don't have a rejection or mailed them in and the mail wasn't sent back to you then you should be confident that they are someplace at IRS. Don't bother calling because nobody can track it down.

Even when there was not a pandemic the IRS was not answering calls and not capable of giving correct info most of the time.  They are sadly understaffed, underpaid and their computer system is older than Methuselah' grandmother....

• Amy
      4 weeks agoReport

The only government department where increasing their budget would increase the amount of budget available to other departments.

• A.J.

If sent electronically, it shows receipt and/or acceptance as appropriate. If manually filed on paper by 1040X update like I did or a prior year filing, if not sent with return receipt requested, it just goes in a stack of backlog. My $20 check to the IRS has not been processed though sent in April and I did not bother with return receipt because it's their $20 I owed them in the update. I already received my tax refund and stimulus money.

The answer is, you do not know if paper sent and did not pay for tracking or return receipt. Highly unlikely it is misplaced, but is in a huge stack of them, possibly a whole warehouse now. 

You must not have heard...we are in a pandemic. Bless your heart.

I get mine by mail but I can also go online and get them. Your last paycheck would have it too. Wait, you misplaced that too. Life is tough for children in a grown up world.