Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 month ago

I gave my tenant 50$ off each month to mow the lawn this rarely happend the lawn was several feet tall can I take it out of the deposit?

It was a verbal agreement. I know of maybe twice the lawn was taken care of. After she moved out the lawn was about three feet tall and I had to hire someone to come out and fix it. I'm just wondering if it's ok to charge for the lack of lawn care due to our agreement

If you had a lease that shows the rent was, say $700.00 per month, but you can prove she paid $$650.00...that substanciates the mowing discount, even though it was a verbal agreement.

I do not know why you did not enforce the mowing agreement when she lived there. I do not think you can recoup the $50.00 per month due to her violating the agreement,  but I would deduct the cost of the mow job after she left.  You have proof of a discounted rent via her reduced monthly rent payments, right?

If you didn’t have it in writing you won’t have a leg to stand on if you end up in front of a judge.

It's ridiculous to hold a persons deposit, you'll be in trouble if she files a complaint.  It's your house, do it yourself or hire a gardener.

If you didn't discuss about it when she was staying at your place, rightfully you shouldn't do it now.

Learn from your mistake/s, give her back her deposit and move on.

Really you should have raised the matter with the tenant every  month when they didn't mow the lawn. It's not sensible - and very possibly not legal either  -  to let it go, do and say nothing, then suddenly turn round and say "Oh I'm keeping your money".

Because it is a verbal agreement you screwed yourself.  Several feet tall sounds like an exaggeration.  You would have been flocked by kids wanting to cut the lawn.

.   The contract is for renting the apartment. That is all. They can get legal on you and win in court.

• There are very few kids in my neighborhood and definitely no one who would offer to cut a lawn no matter how tall it was. 

Did you expect it once or was $50 to cover the years they were there? Landlords can misunderstand whats right and what they think should be right.

If your tenant didn't live up to the bargain, and it cost you to have the lawn mowed, you can end the agreement. Yes, I think you can take it out of the deposit for ONLY the times you paid for it. 

$50 off a month? That's a lot. But maybe it costs that much in your area. For your next tenant, HAVE THEM SIGN an agreement that states how much off you'll give them, and HOW OFTEN they need to mow. You can require them to mow once a week--except in cases of inclement weather, from (month of tenancy) to (whenever grass stops growing.)  If they won't do that, don't give any more off the rent--just hire someone to do the lawn.  

• Cyndi1 month agoReport

Not if it wasn’t part of an agrement that was signed, verbal would be hearsay.

• Mr. P

No. It was a verbal agreement - or maybe not. There is no proof of this that will stand up. 

You should expect some costs between tenants such as general wear and tear, repainting, refitting of kitchen units occasionally. That kind of thing is expected.

You could have asked them to keep the frontage tidy but you can't expect to set a schedule of how often the lawn is mown.

Many places add a service charge to pay for upkeep of the exterior grounds.

• Common Sense
      3 weeks agoReport

If a signed lease was fifty dollars more than her monthly payments, that could prove a discount was agreed upon  for mowing credit.

• Barry

It was incumbent upon you to inspect the property from time to time. Then this matter would have come to light. Verbal agreement? Don't make me laugh.

Source(s): UK landlord
  • drip

You kept giving the $50 off the rent when you knew the lawn wasn’t being cut.

Tell them they are back to full pay for the next months rent, 

You didn’t have a written agreement, you can not take it out their deposits