Micks asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

Will my regular health insurance automatically switch to medicare when I get old?

do I need to switch to a different primary physician for medicare? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Kini
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No, Medicare is subsidized by taxpayers and by those who are in the program and is done by choice by those who are eligible. When you turn 65 you can enroll in it but you dont have to if you  still have employer health plan or if you dont want to pay for it. It is optional. The age to be in Medicare could go up by the time you retire.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Depends on if your current  physician  accepts Medicare or not, most do but many practices limit Medicare patients to a certain percentage of their patient load. Mine is 50 %, my old one was 30%

The other part of your question is no, your coverage does not automatically  switch, you must  sign up for Medicare in advance (if drawing SS before 65 its automatic  unless you decline it)

• car253
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your regular health insurance will NOT automatically switch you to Medicare.   You have to apply for Medicare with social security.    You have to ask your primary physican if they take Medicare.

• 1 month ago

Most physicians accept traditional medicare.  Enrollment in traditional medicare is not automatic and you should sign up for it 64 years and 9 months after you were born (3 months before you turn 65).

Your current health insurance may automatically enroll you in their medicare advantage plan.  Not all physicians will accept that insurance company's medicare advantage plan, but your current one might, since that physician accepts the regular insurance you have now from that insurance company.

If you don't want medicare advantage, then make sure to tell your current health insurance not to enroll you in it.

• Zarnev
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Automatic enrollment into the companies Advantage plan, called seamless enrollment, is no longer allowed in most areas because people were signed up into plans that were not the best fit for them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You  have to apply for medicare when you are 65, or a couple of months before so that it is effective when you turn 65. If your current primary  accepts medicare, you don't have to switch.   You might want to start looking at plans about 6 months beforehand. You'll want to decide if an Advantage plan or a Supplemental plan would be of value. You will also need to select a part D for drug coverage.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You need to apply to Medicare even if you are still working and will still have your existing insurance.

• Zarnev
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, your current plan will not automatically switch to a Medicare plan unless you're on welfare (in certain states). In this case you have the option to let it switch automatically or to switch it yourself to a plan that works best for you.

You might have to switch to a different PCP if your current doctor doesn't accept Medicare. If your doctor does accept Medicare they then most likely will accept some, but not all, of the different Medicare plans available. Your agent can make sure you get a plan that has your doctors and medications properly covered.

Source(s): Independent Ägent, Certified Senior Advisor®
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.