Does it matter to use two ram sticks from the same brand withe the same spec instead of a kit?

I could not find Samsung DDR4 2666V as a kit but I found it on sale separately.. I was wondering if I buy two of these ram sticks, would it work like having a kit or I should find a kit?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The Samsung memory that's famous for working well uses the Samsung B-Dies. A random stick of Samsung memory will use their E-dies or a lower binned B-die. People tried using plain sticks of Samsung memory with Ryzen processors back in 2017 and it didn't work out too well. 

You don't have to buy a kit of memory but the chances of the two sticks not playing well together are higher.

There should be a RAM QVL list for your PC or motherboard on Asus.com. When in doubt, buy something that's on the QVL list.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, no problem                  .

• 1 month ago

find a kit.  it is not unheard of for sticks separately bought at same time from same vendor with same maker and specs to not be compatible in paired mode.  This happens because less than perfect specimens of higher speed sticks are sold as lower speed ones after testing and firmware revisions to the lower speed's specs

• 1 month ago

you can find it on amazon

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, if they are identical enough. They could even be from different brands as long as the specs match. All a 'kit' is, is two of them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.