Salt in Macbook Pro?

My 2 year old spilled a bunch of salt all over my macbook pro that was sitting on my bed. Stupid I know, I shouldn't have left it out. My question is, how can I get it out myself? I can't push the keys down and the touchpad has some under it too. Also the speakers are working as of now but I do see some salt in them. Can I fix this myself and if I take it to Apple, how much would it cost to fix? I bought the warranty ehen I purchased it from Best Buy.

• David

It depends what the warranty covers, so I would speak to Best Buy. Otherwise It should be a fairly simple fix for a tech to strip everything out and remove the salt. If the salt has actually got inside the KB then if it is still working you may as well leave it as they cannot be dismantled for cleaning. You are lucky the MacBook is still working, salt is highly conductive and can do a lot of damage if it gets onto the logic board. You could try and take off the covers and remove the salt yourself but some MacBooks have special pentalobe screws and even if you manage to get those out are not easy to dismantle without damaging many of the internal cables and connectors. I would take it to a local tech or an Apple store.

• Dick

Unless some moisture is involved the salt should remain crystaline and fairly easy to remove.  What I would do is open the laptop up as far as you can.  Turn it upside down and virorously shake it (no pun intended) and/or tap on the edges of the section that has the keys.  Once you get out as much as you can that way, and with it remaining upside down, use a vacuum cleaner with the long skinny nozzle that has the opening of about 1.5" by .5".  This will create the most suction.  Now vacuum all of the spaces between the keys following the horizontal and vertical spaces between the keys.  You cannot overdo the vacuuming.  Even tapping it some more while vacuuming will help get a little more out.  If it still doesn't work after cleaning it in that manner then you're probably looking at getting the keyboard replaced.  Keyboards are generally cheap to buy but require some labor to replace them.  Hope this helps!    (34 years computer experience & IT Support)