Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 2 months ago

Should I just give up?

I’m taking an online math class and so far my first test grade was a 65 and the second test was a 50% so my overall grade is a 58% which is obviously failing. It’s college algebra and it is HARD. I do not get it whatsoever. I have to take this math class because I have to make up for my gpa in high school and have to pass math and English with a 70% or better to be able to get into a college program to work on getting my degree. So far I’m failing online math and I still have several topics to go and like 5 more tests that I’ll probably fail too. Should I just give up on trying to go to school? I’m failing badly and even though I watch videos and tutorials I’m still not getting it. I also have a learning disability which doesn’t help at all.  

5 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    The course is designed for those who have either taken the previous non-credit course or passed a placement test with a certain score, in the college where I teach.  If neither of these applies to you, or if you have been out of school for a while, you might benefit from taking a remedial Algebra course before jumping into College Algebra.  Speak to a counselor ASAP because if you need to withdraw, the summer deadline creeps up very fast.  

  • 2 months ago

    I'm not sure if you're taking college-level algebra or if you're taking a remedial ("basic skills") class.  If you're taking an online class, such as through the community college, that is a remedial class, the course credits may *not* necessarily average into one's gpa.  Please do check with a student advisor for more info.

    For someone taking a college-level math class, such as through the local community college, getting a D or F can really bring down one's gpa, and no one really wants a D or F on his or her transcript anyway, right.

    Just an fyi that for those with a learning disability, for instance, he or she may get "reasonable accommodations," which is according to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.  Such accommodations in the classroom (though, you're online) may include getting longer time on tests and/or a separate room for exams (usually with a test proctor).  

    Even though you're online, there should be a way for "reasonable accommodations" to get permitted.  The student would need medical documentation of the need for services beforehand.  Most schools have an "office of students with disability services" (or by similar name).  As far as I'm aware, the on-campus classes, at least, *might* include free tutoring, for instance, for those receiving services through the "students with disabilities" office.

    It's ultimately your decision whether or not to seek a withdrawal from the class, while perhaps starting over *with a tutor from the beginning of the class* or if you're willing to currently take the chance of getting a D or F, even with getting a tutor.  

    If I were you, I would *not* chance it.  However, it's your choice in the end.

    For those having difficulty getting accepted into a four-year college or university, especially due to the coursework, he or she may start out at the local community college and then apply as a "transfer" student to a four-year college or university.

  • Stella
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Many people find math very difficult.

    It's true that you're failing this class. 

    But at an overall grade of 58 you've obviously grasped some of it.

    Keep plugging away.

    Take it again if you need to.

    Your major shouldn't be math intensive but you already know that.

  • 2 months ago

    i wouldnt give up, i would just get a tutor to help you out

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    You'll get better soon.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.