Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Can’t sleep at night because it is too hot in the bedroom?

So... I live in an apartment with my husband. Lately, I haven’t been able to sleep due to it being super hot in the bedroom.

The living room has an air conditioner. My husband sleeps in the living room for now, his choice. He snores really loud which usually keeps me up but he is supposed to get a CPAP machine. They keep rescheduling his appointments due to Coronavirus. He decided to sleep in the living room, he feels bad for keeping me awake (i have Amazon Alexa playing rain sounds so I cannot hear him snore it works).

Should I buy another air conditioner for the bedroom? I have to have maintenance put it in because they would have to remove the cover thats in the wall. Also they put covers on the vents and do not allow us to use the AC once Fall begins until Memorial day. I usually been up until 3am for the past few weeks and messing up my sleep by sleeping during the day :/

I think your answer is obvious.  If you plan to continue to sleep in that bedroom, you will want an air conditioner.  

• Alan H

You could wear ear plugs

If you cannot afford an AC (they're not cheap), look into a plug-in fan.

Source(s): My 2nd floor apartment can easily get to 90 F inside if I don't have either on.

If you can't sleep a window AC is a (relatively) cheap solution.

• L

Get another A.C. and get some sleep.

A married person asking strangers whether or not to buy an air conditioner?  Strange.

Sure, buy another ac for the bedroom.

Instead of buying a wall unit AC, why not look into a portable one--the kind on wheels that you can move from room to room? They only require a hose to be put out a window, not mounted in the wall. They cost a bit more than wall units, but you can take it with you when you move, and you won't have to have maintenance install it. Just open your window and put the hose outside. 

• David

I think the obvious thing would be for both of you to sleep in the living room.  I used to snore loudly, until I figured out it was positional in nature.  My favorite sleeping position was on my back, but I would snore VERY loudly if I was on my back.  Sleeping on my side, I would still snore, but not nearly as loudly.  Then I found out that if my chin was tilted up just a little, I wouldn't snore at all.  Long story how I figured this all out, including working as a first aid instructor for a while...

If hubby's doctor thinks a CPAP machine will help, I say good luck with that.  But while he's waiting for the CPAP, tell him to sleep on his SIDE (the right side is better than the left side, by the way...for digestive reasons).  Also, have him wear a neck brace so that his chin does not tilt down.  The one I wear is Caldera Releaf brand.  If you close that tightly, it keeps your chin tilted up, which helps a lot with snoring...

Not a cure for sleep apnea or snoring.  But in my case, it does help a lot...

Another thing I almost forgot to mention.  If I sleep sitting up, I do not snore at all.  I prefer to lay down, but just saying...if your hubby can sit up in his favorite easy chair to sleep that way...you might be able to sleep in the living room with him.

A fan or a portable AC would help, that way maintenance don’t need to fit anything in and you can use it all year round

I don't have AC in my room either, I leave the windows open and place a small fan on the window ledge. 

A stand fan will work too, it helps to draw in the cool air from outside in. I also leave the room door open for air circulation.

Hope it helps till you work out the AC issue.