If you have read General Mattis's damning rebuke of President Trump, did you take on board what he said, or just automatically dismissed it?

Entire speech provided below.

I doubt if Trump even read it, other than a bullet-point briefing when it was first published. I'm sure he was already thinking of the insults he was going to throw at Mattis via his daily Twitter-Twaddle. And then he was told by the adults in the room that that essay could lose him a chunk of votes among hardcore-Republican vets.

Hey, I'm a Canadian and that essay moved me. I'm not military myself, but my family has a long history in the military. I know the influence that a senior officer can have on former and active personnel. Trump must have s*** a brick when it dawned on him that he could lose hundreds of thousands of votes.

Only an idiot - military or not - would dismiss Mattis. He's got FAR more credibility than Trump. And Mattis has shown grace, character and discipline all along by keeping his mouth zippered up to now. Trump has NEVER shown any of those traits.

With all of this stuff going on I think the Democratic Party is deflecting on the real issues and that is the economy and taxes. The Democratic Party wants bigger government and more taxes. They are deflecting on those issues that hurt them 

• Clive

What does this have to do with elections?

• Weasel McWeasel

It has everything to do with elections........if you are still supporting this dipstick or not. 

• Mrs H

I would never dismiss it. It's great that people are finally speaking out. It amazes me that there are people that see nothing wrong with anything he has done

• Sam

I didn't read it, I already know that Dump is the worst president in our nations history.

Anyone with even half a brain recognizes Captain Combover as the enemy of America.  You're either pro-America or pro-Trump.  There is no middle ground on this.

• Weasel McWeasel

You mean Cadet Spanky Bone Spurs....the Bunker Bish? 

Regardless of what anyone may or may not think about Mattis, I think reading his comments raises an interesting question ...

Are Trump and Biden the best that the Republicans and Democrats can offer? Do the American people not deserve better candidates? 

• Weasel McWeasel

Not really an answer to the question.  This isn't about Biden.   And he's an infnitely better candidate than TRUMP. 

In Union There Is Strength

I have watched this week's unfolding events, angry and appalled. The words "Equal Justice Under Law" are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.We must reject any thinking of our cities as a "battlespace" that our uniformed military is called upon to "dominate." At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict— between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part.Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaderswho best understand their communities and are answerable to them.James Madison wrote in Federalist 14 that "America united with a handful of troops, or without a single soldier, exhibits a moreforbidding posture to foreign ambition than America disunited, with a hundred thousand veterans ready for combat." We do not need to militarize our response to protests. We need to unite around a common purpose. And it starts by guaranteeing that all of us are equal before the law.Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that "The Nazi slogan for destroying us...was 'Divide and Conquer.' Our American answer is 'In Union there is Strength.'" We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.We can come through this trying time stronger, and with a renewed sense of purpose and respect for one another. The pandemic has shown us that it is not only our troops who are willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice for the safety of the community. Americans in hospitals, grocery stores, post offices, and elsewhere have put their lives on the line in order to serve their fellow citizens and their country. We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Square. We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln's "better angels," and listen to them, as we work to unite.Only by adopting a new path—which means, in truth, returning to the original path of our founding ideals—will we again be a country admired and respected at home and abroad.James Mattis