What size HVAC unit would I need for a 700 sqft apt.?

Its a second floor apt. 6 rooms. First floor apt. has independent heating. Contractor says I would need a 3 ton unit in the attic right above which I think its a lot of weight also the gas fired unit same makes me nervous as a fire hazard. Do they make all electric HVAC units?

I have to agree with Edwena that you DO NOT have 6 rooms in 700 sq ft. Even if you count closets and restrooms. the rooms are not that small.

I also agree that the # of sq ft is the single LEAST important factor in determining the proper size of the system.

Note: A properly installed gas furnace is LESS of a fire hazard than misusing an electric stove.

Note2: In the context of HVAC, tons have NOTHING to so with the weight of the system. It refers to the amount of heat required to melt 1 ton of ice in 24 hours.

• Edwena
      4 weeks agoReport

700 square feet is a one bedroom apartment.  1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 closet, 1 living area consisting of a kitchen, dining and seating area. 

• Edwena

The way it is done is by an exact calculation of the heat load.  There are a lot of variables that affect the answer and are specific for your situation.  Things like insulation, ventilation, windows, direction of the sun, etc.  The idea is to size the unit to match both cooling and humidity.  You have to have both to be comfortable. Cold and clammy is no good.  That said 3 tons is too big, but your 700 square feet is probably wrong for 6 rooms. 3 tons is about right for 6 rooms.  So you have a lot of errors.  Gas heating is superior to electric, but gas fired cooling is horrible.  Don't do that. Go electric unless you are in Saudi Arabia and they give away the gas.  But, buy a complete, new everything and get it to match. Get more A/C contractors to give you their assessment and get a consensus. Then pick a unit that will be most reliable for your use. Initial cost is sort of secondary if you are going to live with it a long time.  Gas fired cooling has a history of breaking down like 3 or 4 more times compared to electric.  All that fire doing what an electric motor does in an electric A/C, and the gas fired also has electric motors and pumps, more than an electric A/C unit.