Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 4 months ago

Why does society believe that parents need to be the boss with their kids?

Your children need you to be a friend to them. They do not need you to be their boss. Do not dictate, control, punish, judge or manipulate them, out of fear. Be there for them, in the way that they are asking you to be. Facilitate, connect, discuss, love and be present. Friends trust one another, confide and listen.

Despite what society tells you, being a friend to a child is the greatest role that you could have in their lives! Don't be controlled by fear of what will happen if you do this. It is all a lie to control you! Wake up and smell the agenda and the intent of those who perpetuate this belief! Your children *need you* to be their greatest friend. Do this and your relationship with your child will improve in wondrous ways!

When a child is friends with their parents, they *trust* their parents. They confide. They listen. They believe the information that we give them. They have no reason to fear us. When you have a deep bond and connection, you are of great influence in their lives. This is what the role of a parent should be - and one that you can have, if you let got of the fear-based, culturally-perpetuated ideas surrounding this.

Why does society believe your manager needs to be the boss with you? 

my job as a parent is to nurture, raised decent human being. While yes I am their friend whatever they need me to be I am their parent first. I'm raising Black children in a world that sees them as a target, if i have to use fear or iron fist so be it.

You could be right despite all the answerers who disagree.  The thing is that no one has cornered the market on the best way to parent and countless successful methods exist.  

nope you could not be more wrong 

On my personal opinion, maybe its because of how the previous generations behave in the past. It is always expected that parents should "manipulate" their children because they are older and know more things about life, and we are also taught to become polite, and following them is one of the ways to show politeness. another thing is that since parents are much more experienced, they always assume that they know everything and that they want their children to be protected, at being bossy to them is one of the ways that they do that. I am not blaming anyone here, its just that this is one of the truths in this life.

Because strict parents create good kids.

'Be there for them in the way that they are asking you to be' Oh, that's good. You know how I would have liked my parents to be there for me, starting when I was about 12? I would have liked them to pay for everything I needed, plus hand over some cash for me to do what I liked with, never ask me to do anything, and otherwise let me come and go as I pleased. I don't think that would have worked out too well.

You are correct in that fear based discipline is not useful nor needed.  However, children do not have the maturity to raise themselves without adult intervention.  My daughter used to run into the street without looking, even though I explained to her the danger.  I was forced more than once to pull her away from an oncoming car.  She didn't like that!  Kids need to do things they don't like, such as brush their teeth or put away their toys, and they need discipline--not punishment, but protection from themselves.  

• edward

Something my mother told me when i was a teen.  Parenting is one of the hardest things to do.  You love your children and nurse them and take care of them when they’re young, you fight with them when they’re teenagers and when they’ve finally grown up and become a friend, they leave you.  Me and my parents don’t fight anymore, i don’t fear them anymore but i don’t live with them anymore.  We are friends now that i’m older and i have my own family.  But when i was younger...yeah, i was afraid, not of my parents, it was failure, the feeling i wasn’t good enough, disappointing them.  I don’t think anyone really is afraid of the parents but they have a fear of not being good enough

Yes, and then the child will grow up not knowing what it's like to have anyone discipline them and will burst into tears and demand a safe space because their boss triggered their fragile sensibilities by telling them not to put their feet on their desk.

Source(s): Common sense