Ryan
Lv 7
Ryan asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 3 months ago

What is your country's biggest missed opportunity in football ?

I will put my own answer down below.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Will.
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

With England it was losing in the semi-final of the 2018 World Cup. We played well and had a fairly good route to the semi but I think did not take advantage of the position we were in. On our day we could beat Croatia and France but failed to lift our game for the occasion.

• 3 months ago

Scotland, Not being able to find a winner against the Faroe Islands during qualification 

• 3 months ago

I will go with Euro 96. If Gazza has been an inch taller, we would have beaten Germany in the semis and faced the Czech Republic. I appreciate that they had a good side then, but I think that Gazza, Sheringham and Shearer would have found a way to beat them, and Adams and Pearce would have taken care of complacency. Plus the Wembley crowd would have played a big part. 

I don’t think we would have won in 1990 had we beaten Germany. A team lacking Barnes, Robson, and crucially Gazza would have struggled to break down a defensive Argentina side which still contained Maradona.

2002 was a possibility for our ship coming in, since it would have been Turkey or South Korea in the semis. Germany in the final would have been the worry. I know we had beaten them 5-1 just months before, but they would have been motivated to avenge that, and what better game to do it in than a World Cup final.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

When they were beaten by Argentina in the World Cup.....or should I say beaten by the hand of God.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

nothing. it us to my be or for go home to foul

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

My father is from France so will go with 1994 - all they needed was a draw in one of 

2 remaining qualifiers .. Managed to lose to Israel in the 90th minute, and the exact

same result against Bulgaria. 1998 team was better however remains embarrassing.

• 3 months ago

Its a toss up between Italia 90 or Euro 96.

Bloody Germans and Penalties (That is a Cliché)

• F
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

England’s best chance of winning the World Cup was 2002 . Turkey and S Korea were 3rd and 4th ffs and the worst German team ever ( which we beat 5-1 away in qualifiers) made the final.

We had Brazil beaten in the quarters but for Seaman’s blunder.

With winning the rugby World Cup in 2003, it would have been a nice double. 

• 3 months ago

Euro 96 if only we could have beaten the Germans on penalties in semis I think we would had beaten the Czechs in final.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Many opportunities (=lost finals), especially during the Euro 1976 and World Cup 1986 (the latter would have been much more important for me personally).

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.