Ryan
Ryan asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 3 months ago

What is your country's biggest missed opportunity in football ?

I will put my own answer down below.

• Will.

With England it was losing in the semi-final of the 2018 World Cup. We played well and had a fairly good route to the semi but I think did not take advantage of the position we were in. On our day we could beat Croatia and France but failed to lift our game for the occasion.

Scotland, Not being able to find a winner against the Faroe Islands during qualification 

I will go with Euro 96. If Gazza has been an inch taller, we would have beaten Germany in the semis and faced the Czech Republic. I appreciate that they had a good side then, but I think that Gazza, Sheringham and Shearer would have found a way to beat them, and Adams and Pearce would have taken care of complacency. Plus the Wembley crowd would have played a big part. 

I don’t think we would have won in 1990 had we beaten Germany. A team lacking Barnes, Robson, and crucially Gazza would have struggled to break down a defensive Argentina side which still contained Maradona.

2002 was a possibility for our ship coming in, since it would have been Turkey or South Korea in the semis. Germany in the final would have been the worry. I know we had beaten them 5-1 just months before, but they would have been motivated to avenge that, and what better game to do it in than a World Cup final.

When they were beaten by Argentina in the World Cup.....or should I say beaten by the hand of God.

nothing. it us to my be or for go home to foul

My father is from France so will go with 1994 - all they needed was a draw in one of 

2 remaining qualifiers .. Managed to lose to Israel in the 90th minute, and the exact

same result against Bulgaria. 1998 team was better however remains embarrassing.

Its a toss up between Italia 90 or Euro 96.

Bloody Germans and Penalties (That is a Cliché)

• F

England’s best chance of winning the World Cup was 2002 . Turkey and S Korea were 3rd and 4th ffs and the worst German team ever ( which we beat 5-1 away in qualifiers) made the final.

We had Brazil beaten in the quarters but for Seaman’s blunder.

With winning the rugby World Cup in 2003, it would have been a nice double. 

Euro 96 if only we could have beaten the Germans on penalties in semis I think we would had beaten the Czechs in final.

Many opportunities (=lost finals), especially during the Euro 1976 and World Cup 1986 (the latter would have been much more important for me personally).