Would cutting a 4-5" hole in my glass door ruin its structural integrity?

I'm running out of options for how to vent my portable AC unit out of my bedroom in my new apartment since there are no windows. My last resort that I'd love to avoid is buying a second lite door, cutting a hole in it, taking down the current door, switching hardware and installing/uninstalling every summer + when I move out.

The current door is a standard, left-swing with a full glass panel and ~4" of wooden trim around the edges. I've been told that trying to vent through the 2.5" deadbolt hole using a reducer is a bad idea, so I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the glass to vent the hose. That way, before I'd move out, I would only have to replace the glass. I could possibly even give my landlord the money to replace it when I leave.

Where would I want to cut to not make the glass weak to weather, and where would be best for the hose? Can I do the bottom corner, or would it have to be higher, like door knob height?

After all the debate across here, reddit and many home DIY threads, I finally caved and texted my landlord to see if I can just install a wall vent. He said he'd have no problem hiring someone to do it lol.

The glass doesn't HAVE structural integrity to ruin. The FRAME it the only part that contributes to the structural integrity of the door.

• Alexandria1 month agoReport

Steven F, you deserve that Lv 7 status and favorite answer. Even though the landlord offered to install a wall vent, meaning my door can stay intact, you brought humor to my day in your absolutely savage responses to the other answers below. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question!

First you can't cut in glass.  You would have to take it to a glass place and they would have to use a DIAMOND SAW to cut a circular opening. Costs.  As it is an AC unit, heat comes out the back side of the AC unit.  You want that to go outside the apartment, not inside.  Usually the AC units are something that fit inside windows with a blockage on the side so the cool stays in.   The handiman will know how to do this& know that it must exhaust outside.

Handyman 35+years

• STEVEN F

You CAN cut glass and a diamond saw is NOT required. You also COMPLETELY misunderstand the entire CONCEPT of the question.

What kind of death trap of apartment you have with no windows?

How many doors to apartment? In case of emergency or fire in hall way how do you get out?

A bedroom without a window might also be ILLEGAL.

in essence, you can't easily 'cut a hole' in many glass doors ... they are made with tempered glass and it intentionally doesn't cut [that's for safety from intruders].  suggest you consult your local handyman as to what can be done

• STEVEN F

Tempered glass DOES NOT provide safety from intruders. It prevents SHARP EDGES when shattered.

Is this a standard swinging hinged door or a glass sliding door? If the former, you'd almost need to buy a new door (or an old used one) and replace the Landlord's door.  You can then cut a hole in it as you need.  Replace it every spring and summer.  

If the latter, you could use a 6" board and cut the hole, and then put the board in the open area by sliding the door open 6".  You'd need to secure the open door by putting a 2x4 or large diameter dowel rod in the track behind the door, thus keeping it from opening easily. (No damage to the door and The dowel can be removed to open the door.)_

• Barry

I think you will find that the door panel is safety glass. So you can't cut a hole in it. If it were tried the whole panel would fracture into small fragments. Ask a glazier if you doubt me. I think you have a problem. Unless you can convince the landlord to allow your machine to vent through a wall you are stymied. A simple square patch painted to match the wall when you leave could be an asset for a similar installation.

• Alexandria1 month agoReport

Hmmmm I'll have to talk to the landlord. The wall the borders the deck so it'd definitely be possible to put a hole in it. I feel like that is also a last resort though, next to replacing the door during my stay so I can cut a hole in it to vent.

are you telling us you have no window in your bedroom? ..illegal where i live ..move out 

• Edwena

Cut about 1/2" off of the bottom of the door.   No one will know the difference.  About the same size as your hole.  If that won't work, put a hole through the wall and put an air return screen on each side.  The problem with that one is that people can also hear sounds through it.  So, it has to be well placed.

• Alexandria1 month agoReport

The door goes to the floor though, and I'd need an opening that's close to the size of the AC's exhaust hose (4-5"). I was told reducing the vent hose to fit through the keyhole (2.5") wouldn't work. Also, if I put a hole in the wall wouldn't I have to patch it all up somehow upon move out?