Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

do couples who have been married for a long time lose their attraction to each other and become like siblings?

or does the lust they had in the

begining

last throughout

marraige

? I

cant

help but think it becomes a sibling kind of relationship apart from the obvious of course. But they see each other in their worst states etc so does the romance and lust fizzle out?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Do they "fizzle out"? Sure there are ebbs and tides, in intimacy and other aspects at certain times, but overall I'd have to say Hubby and I are still romantic and intimate - even after more than three decades together. In fact our adult children sometimes say we are too romantic!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • RP
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

While this probably happens to some couples, a great number of couples, who are healthy and have been married for a long time, find their love and commitment grow and are as strong after years as they were to start, if not stronger.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

This has not been the case in my marriage.  I can't speak for other people.

No, my husband and I aren't anything like siblings.

• 4 weeks ago

Its different for everyone. If their sexual relationship has a history of having been good and satisfying, the chances are greater that they will continue to enjoy such activity well into their senior years, apart from additional circumstances, such as illness. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I believe that they love each other deeply in a way that has nothing to do with "siblings" but is no longer based on the sort of immediately passion of youth.The lust between couples who have been wed for 30+ years is rarely "the lust they had in the beginning" but sexual desire continues as it's matched with other needs and fulfillment and weaving of their lives together. People wed 30+ years rarely are on here complaining that their partner only has sex with them 2x's a week so they think they might look elsewhere. That's kid stuff.  

• 4 weeks ago

some start hating each other immensely. so the sibling thing would be a good thing actually

• 4 weeks ago

We fall madly in love, don’t we, thinking (feeling rather) that it will last forever and is enough for a serious relationship. However, it’s very hard to live on an emotional high for very long. Eventually we start to come down from the ecstasy, excitement, strong passions and desires, typically after around 18 months to three years (people vary of course). If couples are friends, discuss their mutual values, shared ambitions, interests, etc., in some depth (obviously there will be some differences, which help make relationships interesting), and make plans, work on their personal development, etc., this can develop into a long and wonderful relationship. If one party feels insecure or low in self respect, it can make for a difficult partnership. It's easy to behave at our best when in love, but marriage, for example, requires a lot of self discipline, sacrifice, compromise and flexibility. If a strong friendship is not in place, the relationship will probably peter out eventually - or worse. Quite often we fall in love because we are lonely and allow ourselves to be won over by anyone who takes an interest in us. Thus we give away control to somebody else if we are not careful. This is another reason for taking things very slowly, and really getting to know someone before committing ourselves or getting too emotionally or sexually involved. Sex can be emotionally bonding, which is disastrous if the other things are not there: strong friendship, similar values and standards, common interests, etc.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.