Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can I be fired for calling out because I don’t feel safe going to work? ?

This isn’t related to Covid19, I just happen to report drug use and selling at work and the employees there know it’s me, they’re a rough bunch and now I’m considering reporting it to the authorities. If I call out to let things cool off and to also get authorities involved could my employer fire me? 

If you do not have leave time to cover the absence, yes, of course they can fire you for not showing up to work.

Probably so. Not showing up for your work isn't something an employer isn't going to fire you for. There's very limited protection, which would have to include something of a hostile work environment of sorts. This would be hard for you to allege now, and even harder to prove.

yes and at a heartbeat and never look back.

They sure can. When you reported it to work you might have tried to look up some sort of whistleblower protection(and that would be a stretch) BUT when reporting it to the law that isn't even going to work. They aren't trying to retaliate anyway, they are trying to find people that will come to work. Jobs aren't required to let you take as much time off as you want/need over something like this. 

Yes, employers don't need a reason.

• audrey

You should have minded your own business. Watch your back.

Of course he can fire you for calling off.   Employment is AT WILL.

He can fire you because he didnt like what color socks you wore today

There is a bunch of them and just you, which one do you think your employer would get rid off? They can fire you for any reason or no reason and I would say nothing to anyone or you are just going to cause trouble for yourself, even though they are in the wrong, Good Luck