Cece asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

How can I manage my depressive episodes during the covid crises?

I’ve been struggling with depression on and off for 6 years, I wasn’t able to receive help until I started college 3 years ago due to fear of judgement and also being discouraged from asking for help for so long. I don’t cope well with my emotions and often act out I’m still trying to learn even though I don’t have access to any help during the covid crises. I have been unemployed for the last 5 months and I’m struggling to pay for bills that are still coming in and pay for things I need before I move into my new house for the next school year, I cannot get hired anywhere because most places are still shut down by me and I’ve been rejected because I am a college student and only here for the summer months, my school also only gave me $200 from the cares act. This has put a burden on me, the lockdown has made me feel lonely and sad and struggling financially is not helping. I don’t have anything to look forward to and even just having a job would give me something to do while making money. Those who are in the same boat: how have you been handling this situation?

The first thing I want to say is that because depression is often the result of prolonged high stress, it's important for people who are prone to depression to practice good stress management. Actually, there are stress reduction methods that can help people recover from a case of depression. They can even contribute to recovery if you're very badly depressed. although its best to get standard treatment as well.

Call your local social services and find out what's available in your area - possibly free therapy. Ask about Obamacare. It wouldn't hurt to google "affordable psychotherapy." For a number of reasons, the cost of therapy can vary a lot. For example, group therapy is way cheaper than 1-on-1.

Some therapists have begun working on the phone. You can call your doctor and ask about this.

Legally, a therapist can work over the phone with anybody in the same state. Some insurance companies cover phone therapy. You can use the Psychology Today Find a Therapist feature to get a list of therapists in your state, find out who’s working by phone, and what kinds of problems they specialize in.

DO NOT overlook self-help methods for depression. Although these are still considered experimental, many people benefit from them, and they're great as preventative measures. You can find out about them in this answer, under DEPRESSION ANSWERS. 

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

Of all the basic lifestyle choices, the one with the best evidence is exercise, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Research shows that when people suffering from depression go for long walks with friends, this is very therapeutic (source - the lifestyle-depression project at the University of Kansas). Things that take your mind off your problems for a while, like a funny movie, are helpful, as long as you don't let them dominate you. 

Of all the traditional Asian methods (meditation, tai chi, etc.) the one with the best evidence for helping people with mood problems is controlled breathing. I have information about therapeutic breathing recommended by psychiatrists Brown and Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala in my answers. This is safe and requires no training.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181... 

Give up school and plan a way to sustain yourself. Give up some luxuries and live a simple life. Dont be depressed. Live like Jesus. At times even He was homeless and was still living in perfect peace because He always did Gods will. Im not saying to be homeless. Im saying its time to look at life differently. Realize you dont have to do what you think you have to to survive. If you obey God always even you will be at peace living with little and without a college degree. As Salomon said there's a time for everything. This is not the time to waste money on college but a time to seek God and to live wisely.  

Matthew 6

25“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life e ?

28“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.