Average cost for the repair of a cylinder with low compression?

I purchased a 2008 Kia Sportage yesterday with low compression in cylinder 4. I am wondering if anyone can offer me any advice as to the average cost of this service. I understand it will be quite pricey. 

Dude you probably just have carbon buildup in the cylinder, or your car needs a tuneup. 

Low compression just means that the gas is not exploding as strong as it is in the other cylinders. 

Please do not let some crooked assz mechanic "repair or replace" the #4 cylinder in your car when the compression problem could easily be fixed by a tuneup or a coil pack replacement at worst. 

Hell, you could probably even get away with dumping some Chevron Techron in your gas tank on 2 different fillups and that would probably somewhat remedy the issue. Its likely that that cylinder may just have carbon buildup or something. 

I'd put a used motor in the vehicle.

• Geo

The FIRST thing you need to do is remove all the Spark plugs and look at them. They should be Clean and Dry with a light tan or gray coating. The spark plug that's Wet or Dirty is the bad cylinder...you say #4 is bad. But if the #4 spark plug is not wet or dirty it means the Valves or Head Gasket is probably leaking and not the Piston or Cylinder as the cause. To confirm you need to do a Dry/Wet Compression Test. Check ALL of the Cylinders Dry. It should be done with engine just barely Warm not Hot. Write down the the results. They should read within 10% of each other, at least 135 psi. For the cylinders that are lower than that do a Wet Test. Squirt about 2 Tablespoons of Oil into the Cylinder and Retest. If it reads higher is confirming the Cylinder or Piston is the problem, the oil temporarily seals that area. If it doesn't come up it confirms that valves or head gasket is the problem and head removal is now necessary to repair the vehicle. You can then look at the Head Gasket and the Valves in the Head and the Cams to see what needs to be done to make it right. There is no way to fix any problem like this for less than $1,000, maybe quite a bit more...maybe not. Find an Honest Mechanic to check the Compression. And don't buy a car with a bad cylinder again, it doesn't speak to a vehicle being Well Maintained. And that along with Mileage are the most important things to consider when buying a used car.

You bought a used car with low compression for $2000?? You paid one more zero for it.  Get a known good engine from a junkyard and get it installed by a competent garage.  You will need to cough up another $3000 to $5000.  Good luck.

If it's not smoking then you don't have a cylinder problem. You've got valves that are full of carbon or your valve lifter is not lifting your valve and shutting it properly. Before you let somebody talk you in to having an engine overhauled have a look at the valves and the valve lifters you're going to find that one of the lifters has gone bad and one of the valves has become carbonized. 

• Hanna1 month agoReport

Thank you 

Tell me just why it has low compression for starters. Can just that cylinder be repaired, or will the whole engine need to be rebuilt, maybe it could be you just want it running not caring how well of a job is done. So there is no average. I just hope you didn't pay much for the car in this condition. 

• Hanna1 month agoReport

It already runs, and I paid 2 grand for it. I just want it fixed because the pickup isn’t great and the car rattles a bit when idling. I’m not sure what is wrong with it exactly because I bought it yesterday like I said. I don’t know why it has low compression.