Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

Why are the cheapest fruits and vegetables ?

Why should say what

Apples are probably the cheapest fruit depending on which type you buy. The standard red apples are probably the cheapest. Same goes for tomatoes. I think Roma tomatoes are the cheapest. Lettuce is probably the cheapest veg.

what ever is in season in your area....the fact is its too early in most northern climates to have much of anything in season yet so for us, everything is still imported from either the southern states or other countries.

• kswck2

Any one's that you can find at a farm stand or farmers market. And they are usually the freshest, probably having been picked just that morning. 

• kswck2

No tin New York. You can probably thank the state of California for all those rules and regulations. 

I go to a large indoor farmers market rather than any grocery store for produce because 95% of the time it’s cheaper. So already there the prices I experience will be different than if you go to big brand places, assuming we’re in the same state. Keep in mind I buy fresh produce, and rarely ever settle for anything less. I also steer clear of buying preassembled bags with abnormally small produce like onions, potatoes or apples because the quality is usually lacking and the cut price is a dead giveaway...

Where I go: (all priced per pound unless otherwise stated)

Carrot .49

Beet .69

Russet .69

Red Potato .79

Sweet potato .69

Celery .99/ea

Navel Orange 2 for 1 deal

Yellow onion .59

Swiss chard .99

Whole romaine (not just hearts) .99

Button mushroom 2.29

Cherry/grape tomato any color .99

Watermelon 5-8/ea (grocery stores)

Sweet apples .99-1.29

Peach .99

Seedless grape .99-1.29

Broccoli .99-1.29

Pepper .99-1.99 depending on supply and color

Squash .99

Pineapple 1.99/ea

Strawberries price wildly variable upon season

Banana .49

English cucumber .99 ea

Eggplant .99

Red cabbage .49

• CB

Frozen and canned vegetables are the cheapest - they are picked ripe and processed quickly so spoilage in minimized and quality is higher. 

• Anton

Bananas are generally 3 pounds/dollar.  In season, corn can be found at two bits an ear.  Onions generally 3/$1, often 5/$1.  Likewise cabbage.  Russet potato usually 15 cents/lb, maybe 20.

• Michael S1 month agoReport

Where I live Bananas can be picked off the plant