Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Atheists how did you rule out the god hypothesis?

As an agnostic I feel like the god hypothesis is still possible along with many other hypothesis

• Favourite answer

I am open to a higher dimensional being having sparked this universe to start (which only begs the question of how that being originated), just as much as I'm opened to it having started from a realm of chaos where cause and effect are not required for things to start, or that the universe is just eternal beyond human understanding.

Though I have a slight problem with calling that being a "god" because it carries so much religious baggage, and I am very confident that the gods of religion are false.

I'm an agnostic atheist,

and I don't absolutely rule out anything.

I simply do not yet have any valid reason

to suspect that any of the thousands

of hypothetical gods or goddesses,

that people have imagined,

is at all likely to be real.

--

Regards,

John Popelish

When I was transitioning from being a believer, I deal a lot of research on various claims about God and other gods.  It became rapidly apparent that believers in various gods all make similar claims that they may use in "testimony", including changed lives, dramatic miracles, glossolalia, fainting etc, but all of these have natural explanations. Other claims, that should have left lasting objectively verifiable evidence, not only did not have any supporting evidence but more often than not actually had evidence that showed a different set of events. Similarly, claims for humans having a spirit and/or soul have no evidence, except arguments from ignorance and mis-attributing  strange, but purely natural, events to being signs of a spirit/soul. There simply is no reason to suspect that our consciousness is anything other than the product of our bodies.

• thesun

You are correct in stating that the god hypothesis cannot be totally dismissed but it is no more valid that the magic pixie hypothesis..

Lack of proof.

Do you think there's a possibility that Santa, dragons, unicorns, Tooth Fairy, etc. might exist?

Better get out Mr. Dictionary and look up the definition of "hyposthesis", sonny. You don't know what it is. 

• tenn

For me personally, it was the problem of evil. There is simply no good explanation for the fact that no benevolent god appears to be doing a single thing about evil in the world.  All the religious have to offer is lame, unbelievable excuses.

• jpopelish

What about an evil demon of a god,
      that feeds on suffering and death?

There is no proof God exists, so any hypothesis involving God is also unproven and therefore invalid.

• jpopelish

Or, at least, totally unsupported.

It just seems so very obviously made-up.  Plus the fact that there's no compelling evidence for it.

No evidence to suggest ANY gods, why worry about it?