? asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

Are there any benefits to the body from the sugar from excessive alcohol?

I am asking this on Yahoo UK so can you say first if you are American if you are about to answer to give a list of the negative effects of it

USA here (and a PhD chemist).

It is perhaps true that ethyl alcohol is the most basic sugar, but it is a little bit TOO basic.  So first, if you are talking about alcohol as a sugar, it costs your body too much to process it and because of its simplicity, it is small enough to bind with certain cell receptors that normally would be sensitive to higher sugars like glucose or fructose.  This can lead to bad effects on the organs.  For example cirrhosis of the liver, which is where a lot of sugars get processed.  The cirrhosis occurs when the cells of the liver are damaged by the alcohol and leave behind a type of scar tissue.

If you mean "sugar added for flavoring" in alcohol, the problem is that with the alcohol present, your metabolism might absorb too much sugar (as compared to drinking something based on water, like sugared lemonade).  This would occur because the alcohol might mess up your cell's absorption rate i.e. the osmosis rate for the exchange of fluids through cell membranes.

If you were asking for any benefits at all, I am having trouble thinking of what they might be as a long term issue.  Short term, alcohol might slightly lower the freezing point of your body (i.e. the point at which extreme cold will put you into complete hypothermia.)  As an emergency thing, this might work, and the extra sugar would give you a brief boost while your body is processing the alcohol.  Once that wears off, though, you would actually be MORE susceptible to the cold.

• Dixon

Not that I'm aware of. Sugar is pretty bad in excess and a typical western modern diet is already permanently in sugar excess.

• D g

The soul benefit for alcohol is the fact you know it is germ free as opposed to water  that could have high bacteria count

No.. you just get fat

• No. There are no benefits. No matter what country you live in.

There are no benefits to drinking alcohol. Heavy or persistent drinking can lead to liver damage, addiction, and anti-social behaviour. High levels of sugar are also unhealthy, can lead to obesity, T2 diabetes, tooth decay and other conditions. I'm British.

• kswck2

My Dad Swore that he got diabetes from all the alcohol that turned into sugar in his body. Didn't seem to matter that his Mom was insulin dependent and had parts of her feet amputated from it. 

I’m not really sure if this is a benefit, but I’ve seen people who develop type 1 diabetes from excessive drinking, where they get extremely thin and sometimes taller. But the catch is, they die way faster. “The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long,” type-deal.

Most alcoholic drinks don't contain sugar.

There are no benefits at all from consuming sugar or alcohol. “Excess alcohol” is obviously bad for you.

excess sugar is not good....whether from alcohol or not BECAUSE IT MEANS DIABETES WHICH MEANS MORE RISK OF DYING TO COVID-19,CANCER AND THE LIST GOES ON!!

btw I am neither a Brit nor an American