Problems swallowing pills at 27, advice?

I'm on Xanax due to a high level of anxiety lately. But the pill gets stuck in my throat and I kind of desperate, my question is, is it same if I drop it into a boiling tea?

How about practicing with a smaller pill, such as sudafed (however, *after* talking with one's doctor or pharmacist to get the okay).  Just an fyi that "regular" sudafed (or generic) may need to be purchased behind the pharmacy after showing one's I.D. (identification).

If the medication is able to be taken with milk, perhaps one can place the pill (such as Xanax) towards the back of the tongue and use the milk to help wash it down (rather than water that is usually thinner in substance).

With regard to crushing a pill before placing in food, for instance, please ONLY do so if the doctor or pharmacist gives permission.  Certain pills may become more potent (or less potent) if crushing it up first.

• Hannah

Never ever crush up a pill or dissolve it or alter its shape in any way without consulting your doctor or a pharmacist first. Pills are formed for a purpose to be swallowed and be digested slowly and safely in your body.  You could maybe get it in a liquid form or you could take the solid pill with some pudding, yogurt, or applesauce—something you don’t have to chew but the thickness hides the texture of the pill.

It's probably not a good idea. It might break down the drug, or chemically alter

it, making it less effective. Make it into powder and put it in juice, instead.

"Storing Xanax properly helps ensure that the drug will remain effective until its expiration date. Store it in a dry place at room temperature, of 68–77°F. Do not store Xanax in a bathroom because moisture and humidity can cause the medication to break down sooner."

You can crush it up and snort it.  You could turn it into a powder and stick it in your butt "plugging".  Plugging might not work as good.  You might lose a bit.  Probably smashing it up and putting it in a shot of tequila.  The problem nibble off the edge.  These things are nasty - that is the reason they are in a swallowable pill form (most have no issue swallowing).  So we don't have that nasty taste.

I don't think it would dissolve in tea.....  It is going to be really fu*king nasty.  But no matter how it gets in your body, it is in your body.

PS, don't do anything I just mentioned - I am not sure if its legal.  But it was just some general info. Just don't do it.

As someone who had problems with this myself this worked for me:

Put the pill in your mouth at the back of your tongue, tilt your head back, grab a water bottle and as you drink it make sure you suck on it tightly, and then swallow the pill as you're sucking the bottle. The sucking motion helps you swallow it easier, after doing it that way for a while you'll find yourself able to swallow pills without water at all and just simply sucking on your lips/cheeks as you swallow. 

• D g

I had an alergic reaction to soap caused my throat to swell making it hard to swallow pills try antihistamines see if your throat opens up a bit

I have extreme anxiety and I deal with swallowing pills and some food. This is what I do and I know it sounds lame but I would count, listen to a song maybe sing a song. This distracts my mind. By the way, if you crush or put in tea it will defeat the purpose of the chemicals needed to keep your anxiety stable. That's why I mention about always distract your mind. It's going to be okay is another good form of self-talk to swallow your pills. Hope this helps.

• Barry

Chew it and wash it down with water. 

• geezer

Crush it up and eat it with a spoonful of jam .. or something.

As the song goes ''A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down''.