What power tool is best for LUG Nuts or bolts on cars?

Would an 12v or 18v compact driver do the job for unscrewing right bolts? Yes I know its highly recommended to use a breaker bar. But I am just young guy thriving education more on power tools and more so on trial and error. What power tools work great for unscrewing bolts on car. Please note I cannot do air gun more so I would like to use some sort of power tool I could rent from a local hardware store  or buy.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago
    Favourite answer

There is a reason you don't use power tools on LUG nuts for a vehicle.

If you need to change a flat tire and your power tool isn't available - you could find it very hard to get those LUG nuts back off.

Keeping a battery powered tool in the vehicle is NOT an option.  The battery drains over time and might not be charged when  you need it.

Stick to using the breaker bar for on and off with the LUG nuts and you'll never have a problem.  

For any other bolts on a vehicle - an 18v compact driver would do the job - but again - you need to pay attention to what you are doing because you could over tighten something and strip it out making it harder to remove or get off if a change is needed in the future.

• 4 months ago

Unless your tool has a torque limiter, you WILL over tighten the lug nuts.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

The wheel wrench that comes with every car is usually the best.  Power tools get low batteries so they are useless.  So long as you have arms, they will work just fine.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

you shouldn't need a breaker bar or a power tool.  You need a wheel wrench which should be in the trunk.  And a 14 year old boy. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

rent?  bah ... try out one of the modern 18 or 20 volt compact 3/8" or 1/2" portable [battery] drills.  just put an adapter for sockets in the chuck, the right size socket, and give it a try ... you can probably borrow this from a friend to test it. 

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

You need an impact driver to make any headway on lug nuts.

There are 12v and 18v impact wrenches - different from impact drivers, which are intended for 1/4" hex bits - that can do a decent job on lug nuts, look for those.

• 4 months ago

If it's something you want to use at home a cordless 1/2" drive impact driver should do the job.  I'd suggest 18v. However, as others have pointed out, you'll need an ordinary "manual" wrench to carry with you in case you need to change a wheel out on the road.  You wouldn't have your electric wrench with you, or if you did would find the battery is flat when you need it most!

• 4 months ago

You are young and strong. Be safe and remove lug nuts manually.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

If you are not a professional mechanic, you do NOT need one.  If you are, get a 1/2 impact driver.

• 4 months ago

A cordless 1/2" drive impact driver will do the job.provided the lug nuts are not over torqued. You need a breaker bar (or air driven impact driver) to remove the nuts the first time, then torque to spec with the cordless driver for future removal.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.