Would having a home inspection done be a better way to go than trying to guess what is the most urgent repair?

I've been telling people about my 123 year old house that no matter where I look, something needs to be done from roofing, wiring, plumbing, masonry and countless things. I am fed up with contractors that aren't responsive or that I feel are trying to bamboozle me. Some people have suggested to just hire a home inspection service to get me started in the right direction.

• Edwena

Spend a couple of days looking at everything and making a list of everything that needs to be done/fixed.  Then assign a 1 to 10 score to it from your importance standpoint, and a second score for your guesstimate of the cost.  From that you should be able to figure out what needs to be fixed that you can afford to fix.  And from that make a schedule to get an idea of the number of years it will take.  Buy some home repair books so that you can learn what options you have and how things should be fixed.  Also, go look at houses that are fixed correctly and see how it is done.  Go to Lowes or Home Depot and spend a day looking at the stuff.  Believe it or not, you will be in every bin in the store if you start making repairs yourself. If you go to an outsider for advice, chances are you are going to get taken.  There is no way that someone can do what you expect them to do, i.e. use their judgement to fix things right at a price that you think it will cost.  Especially when the guy you are hiring has no idea of what he is doing.  If he did, he wouldn't be there.   Now, if you want something to go smoothly, you have to tell them what yo want them to do.  You will need a drawing/sketch showing the work they are to perform and a scope of exactly what materials to use.  For example, you talk about fixing the bricks on the house.  Make a sketch of each side of the house and the area of bricks you want fixed.  In the process, you will talk to a mason and he will tell you how it is done, and you write it down.  It might turn out to remove all the bricks and rebuild completely.  That is why you need to get an idea of how much you are talking about and put it on a drawing.

• Droopy

well first thing would be roof (no matter what you do if water is leaking in your doomed).

Second masonry geussing its brick an your mortor going bad.  Again  needs to be fixed because of moisture  penetration an structure.

Then I'd worry bout the electrical an plumbing.  Depending on what your issues are with both would depend which to fix first.

Don't think you need a inspector sounds like you know the issues.    

A home inspector will only point out what needs to be repaired to bring it up to code or to make it habitable. It's a good idea, but can be expensive to find out a lot of what you already know.   

In order to prioritize the projects, get a note book and make three sections.  

1) Important safety.  Steps loose, wiring out of code, not grounded properly, etc.  

2) Habitable: Roof, seals on windows, leaks

3) cosmetic.  Painting, replacing trim, taking out walls to create bigger spaces. 

Once this is done, you can then put your attention to a single project and show a contractor what needs to be done.