Do I need a Will?

I don't have any properties, only a little bit of money and life insurances but I already designated beneficiaries for those insurances.Do I still need a will or living trust?

• car253

No. You do not need a will or a trust.   The money you have in a bank account you just call the bank and list a beneficiary.    You said you already listed a beneficiary on your life insurance.   So, that is already taken care of.   

For now, you do not need a will or a trust.    

I don't have any properties, only a little bit of money and life insurances but I already designated beneficiaries for those insurances.

Yes, for the little bit of money.

Will is an important document but as you have mentioned bit of money then it is not necessary, because you have already mentioned nominees for insurance.

You should have a will. Designating beneficiaries does not always determine who will get the money.

No, not if you don't have much in the way of assets.  Your insurance policies have already been designated so what's left?  Not much.  When you get married, you should probably have a Will, even a basic one would do.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Eva

Living trust is unnecessary, but you should have a will. Someone will have to probate your estate and it makes the process much easier. You may also want to consider a living will, health care proxy, and POA just in case.

Doesn't sound like it's necessary.  However, check into who will get what is left over if you die and see if you are satisfied with that.

If you die without a will, then the government could end up with whatever money you have. To my thinking they got enough of my money when I was alive, they aren't getting more when I die!

A basic will isn't expensive to get done and it means you can dictate what happens to your assets. Be that family gets it, friends get it or the cat's home..   

Probably not. I don't but I should.