Emily asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

How can I stop my cousin swearing?

I’ve got a 10 year old cousin that keeps dropping the F bomb in front of me and shouting swear words in public so I was wondering how I can stop her?

Tell them to f*u*ck off!!

• Ann

Record what she's shouting and be sure to record the F-bombs, then play the recordings for her parents.  Tell them that if she doesn't rein this in, she will not be welcome at your house, nor will you allow her to be around you or your friends.

You didn't say how old you are, or how much authority you have over your cousin,  which would be helpful.  Best I can say is complain to her parents every time she does it in your presence,  and avoid her as much as possible.

Make the toddler give you a quarter every time he does it ((?))

just tell her you'll give her a reward if she stops

• art

its NOT your job to stop your cousin swearing, tell her parents and refuse to hang out with her, if you are being forced to babysit her get her parents permission to discipline her when your babysitting her.

a slap on the bum works wonders for bad children

Tell him you won't speak to him until he stops cussing.

• Establish what behaviors you prefer and dislike, then discourage the bad behavior and acknowledge the good behavior.  Those are the basics for behavior modification.  Let her know that if she's going to be with you in public, then she needs to cut out the swearing.  If she swears in public, take her back home, but when she behaves in public, acknowledge that.  Thank her for showing good behavior, and even reward her sometimes.  Don't scold her every time she swears in public, because then that's just a negative reinforcement.  Deny her what she wants from you if she doesn't behave in a manner that you approve of and show appreciation when she does behave in the manner that you approve of.

If you know there’s a sound or something that annoys her, use it whenever she swears. For example, if it annoys her when you fart on her face, then whenever she swears, fart on her face. Eventually, it’ll deter her from swearing. 

Didn’t you watch A Clockwork Orange. 

• Helen

Tourettes.........?