Someone owes me money what can police do? ?

Long story short someone owes me £120, would not pay up so after me threatening to snap there jaw and torture there apartment's they called the police, police contacted me and basically said "as long as u don't contact them again we can't take the threats any further" good job tbh because I'm on probation as it is so it would of resulted in jail... The officer said "ive give him 4 weeks to return the funds if he doesn't by then call me back" what will happen if he doesn't return the money? What can the police do? Will I haft to take them the court? Won't the court fees be more than the money I'm getting returned etc? 

5 Answers

  • J
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

    I’m not sure about where you live, but in the US, owing a debt is strictly a civil matter. Police don’t get involved. They do get involved when debt collection becomes violent though. 

  • 1 month ago

    The police can refer you to CIVIL court.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Threatening to"snap their jaw and torture them."  That's the adult way to handle it all right.  Set up surveillance cameras to catch them in the act.

  • 1 month ago

    I doubt the police will do much, but my god you really need some anger management training. Threatening physical violence over a debt? WTF. You may just have to walk away from the money, and learn never to lend someone an amount of money you can't afford to give away. 

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    The police won't be able to do anything but if you go to court and win you can ask for your court costs and interest to be paid by the defendant too and usually this request will be granted to the claimant in the event of a successful small claim. 

    If the defendant is able to show the court that you've been threatening violence you might not get costs back as you might have to answer a counter claim and could end up having to pay them more than they have to pay you so it's best to hold it down and make sure you win the case.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.