Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsMobile Phones & Plans · 2 months ago

Have many years should you have a phone for before switching to another phone?

• Boy

until it gets really really really slow or until it breaks..

As many years as you find it useful.  Once it becomes useless for your purposes, pitch it and get another.  Unless you you enjoy dumping wads of cash on every latest, greatest, need-to-have "updated" phone that comes down the pike.  In which case you deserve to waste your money.

You should have a phone for at least three years before you change it, unless it breaks ahead of time.

Phones were much like desktop computers in the way performance gains were being made for a while, but then the performance gains petered out. I bought my first smartphone back in late 2010 and by mid 2012 it had become unbearably slow. At the end of 2017 I traded my S6 in for an iPhone 8 Plus, and I've been using the 8 Plus ever since. I would have held on to my s6 if the battery wasn't shot, the battery life was never that good to begin with, and the s6 would sometimes freeze or malfunction. Otherwise the s6 performed good.

One problem here is many smartphones use an internal battery that crapss out after 2-3 years. Do you spend between $50-100 to replace the battery or do you opt to trade in the phone for a new one? Trading in the phone might be enticing if there are discounts. In the past I've found some really good deals on the Samsung Galaxy phones around the holidays.

I've seen some people tough it out with amazingly old and slow phones. So it depends on your tolerance to these old devices.

Ú**,**Ù

Ťhat would highly depend on what yôu årė 

using your Phone for & how often yôu'rė uśîng

it but I'd say about I-3.5y is a good rångė.

×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷×÷

I'd say a good quality phone should last 6 years and there's no reason to upgrade provided that the unit works fine. I have a Samsung unit I've had for 5 years still works great.

Keep the phone you have as long as it works. 

Replace it Only when there is no other workable option. 

As long as the phone still functions to the ability that you need/want it to, I see no reason to replace it. Up until 2017, my mom still had an iPhone 3Gs. It worked fine, she didn't need it to be any fancier so she waited until it completely died to replace it. Even now, she has an iPhone 6s which is considered old now, but it works so there's no reason to replace it. I wouldn't say you should have your phone for a set number of years before replacing it, because it's functionality varies over that time depending on the model, use, etc. 

I don't think there's a minimum amount amount of time. Some people wait until their plan runs out, some get new ones every year.

Replace it when it breaks or you want a new phone. Depends on how frugal you are. Mine usually last 5 years.