Will a usb WLAN stick that states its compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista be compatible and work on a Windows 7 machine too?

I'm thinking of buying a WLAN usb stick for wireless connection. Just noticed it states compatible for Windows XP and Vista. I'd like to use it on my computer running Windows 7. Because my computer is newer, will it run this usb stick fine?

Maybe. Some older devices have updated drivers or can sometimes work off of generic drivers that are built into Windows.  The question begs; Why not just buy a wireless adapter than is known to work with Win 7?  It's not like there aren't dozens to choose from, and most are pretty cheap. 

Not necessarily. There's no guarantee that a device will work with a newer operating system, unless it can use generic drivers, like keyboards and mice. There are no generic drivers for wireless dongles. 

It shouldn't be difficult to find a dongle that is compatible with Windows 7. Given how old Windows 7 is, it probably wouldn't cost more than one that only advertises Windows XP / Vista compatibility. Even the cheapest piece of crap dongle on Newegg (less than $7 with free shipping) advertises compatibility with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

yes anything that ran on an older operating system should run on a newer operating system you can always install the driver in compatibility mode