Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 months ago

I Am 22 yr old, is it too late for me to learn martial arts?

• Orla

Nope.  Do it.  You may not be as good as someone who's been studying since age 10 but you can get pretty good.

That would depend on what you mean by Martial Art.  If you were 10, you could pick any system or tradition that you wanted to and excel up to your own natural limits.  As you get older, however, then it is prudent to pick one that favors your own ability.  Many people in Japan start out with Iaido when they hit 40-or-so because they simply cannot do a leaping, flying, toes of death, souring squirrel feet kick.  

Step back, take a look at the world, and place yourself in your mind in the middle of the situation that you want to or feel the need for training.  In my case, what I train for does not include being locked in a cage with a rabid kangaroo who has been lifting weights in some prison in Australia.  Why not?  Well, I study Fast Chicken Ryu, which means that I can out-smart and out run any situation that involves men in their underwear, a lot of sweat on a rubber canvas, and a locked cage.  

Maybe the battle that one imagines is the battle of life?  Cancer, divorce, rotten politicians, greed, bankruptcies, these things too can cause great damage.  If that sort of situation is primarily what a person wants to defend from, hey, Tai Chi Chuan would be great.  The average Tai Chi Master is practicing a life-span art, while a full contact fighter is in the game for a very short time.  Do the math on the average age that a typical Thai kickboxer retires.

To some people, a "Martial Art" is preparing for the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600. To others, galloping on a horse along the castle walls of some Japanese castle in 1200 to shoot a whole through a small opening in a castle wall.  

Still, to others, a Martial Art means knocking someone out.  The real trick to Martial Art is to close your eyes, pick the battle field that you want to train for, or feel the need for, open them, and suit up!  

Ahan 

• Bon

No. It's only too late when you are dead.

It's much too late now, you're over the hill.  Maybe you should take up knitting instead. 

Never too late.