How would I fix a ceiling fan when both the fan and light stop working at the same time?

Both my fan and light on only one ceiling fan stopped working all of a sudden while the rest of the ones around it are fine. Is there anything that can be done with the fan by taking it off or does the entire set need to be replaced? Has anyone ever dealt with something like this?

• Trish

I had that problem in my downstairs living room when I got a leak from my upstairs bathroom.  Not sure what happened I sold the house.

Replace the unit.  a voltmeter will tell you if you are getting power to fan and light

Check if the breaker is tripped.  Reset breaker and try again.  If the breaker trips again, there is a short and you need to call an electrician.

If the breaker is good, turn breaker off and check for a bad switch first with multimeter.  If the switch is good, turn breaker on and check if fan is getting power with a multimeter with the switch ON.  You will be working with LIVE electricity here so do the second test ONLY if you know what you are doing. If you don't, call a licensed electrician.

Could be different things. But I suspect a break in a connection either in the fan mounting ceiling box. Or the fan itself. they are subject to constant vibration.

Because both the fan and the light are not working, my guess is that the break in circuit occurs before the wire enters both the fan and the light.  Which means both the fan and the light might be OK, but they're not getting a current.  My point...don't go replacing either the fan or the light until you have a qualified electrician check the wiring that leads into that ceiling unit.  You might have a break in the wiring and that could be dangerous.