Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

How often can you open and close an overhead garage door?

without burning out the motor? I ask because of OCD- as a result I only open and close it when absolutely necessary.

Most units can accommodate 100,000 cycles.

They're designed to be used for years and years. If yours is in danger of burning up after only a few months, you need a better one. 

• Boy

I would do it when you are ready to go out somewhere 

We open ours 2 or 4 times a day and it's been installed since 1995 new. Just last year a storage container lid hit a sensory light and we had those repaired. But overall they go the distance. 

I'd use it not worry about it. When it breaks like everything does id get it repaired.

Another thing to do it just have it serviced chain oiled and inspected and they can tell you the life it has left.

Now when im running around town and im in and out i do not open it everytime...i just pull in drive way...

We mostly use it to get car out and put it away at night.

Your car is safer in the garage.

• Da

Once a week to be safe 

do like NASCAR-- have cameras installed   and of course, get a backup pull ( noose)

in case the motor burns out

Over the years we've had several and never had a major problem.  At our present house, one of the openers is original from 1974 (!) and all it's ever needed is a new drive belt.  We find that it's a good idea to have the garage door company come out every 4 or 5 years to check the door springs and clean/lubricate/adjust everything.

A properly maintained overhead door can be opened and closed at least 3 or 4 times a day for 20 years or more. Even then if the rollers or springs fail then they can be replaced and you will get another 20 years. As for the motor, there is no real limit on their useful life unless you somehow over load them and that is hard to do with a modern system. They have limit and load switches to prevent that sort of abuse.

They're built to withstand normal daily usage, I doubt if anyone has set a numerical value on that. The more you use it, of course, the sooner it will wear. Just use it as you need to.

• dammm

I used to use it twice a day and now I'm parking outside to not over use it.