Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

How to unclaim dependent?

I claimed my children as a non filer. My daughter was supposed to claim them but I made that mistake. Is there a way to fix this?

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    You didn't make a mistake.  Your daughter did.  She cannot legally claim siblings.  She committed fraud.  Leave it as is and tell her not to claim them anymore.  Perhaps, she will get lucky and they won't come after her down the road.

  • martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    The IRS can advise you.  They are pretty nice over the phone.

  • 1 month ago

    File a form 1040X to remove them.

  • NA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    You would file an amended return with a lengthy explanation.  If you received $500 for any of them, you will have to pay that back.Your daughter will have to file by mail.  Your interaction with the non-filer stimulus page counted as claiming them online and will not be undone.  This will  prevent her from efiling and will create a HUGE delay when she files as the IRS is not processing paper returns right now due to the virus.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.