Matteo asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Why do some roommates always lock their bedroom door?

It' have a roommate who almost always locks his bedroom door every time he goes to the bathroom or even the kitchen. He'll leave his room for two minutes just to unlock it, even in the middle of the night. I hear his keys jingling. I have no idea what his problem is, like he thinks someone is going to run in on him while he's relieving himself. Does anyone else do this?

He doesn't trust the people he lives with

I have had roommates steal from me before and installed locks to prevent it from happening again.  Now, I didn't always lock the door when I went to the bathroom, as I could hear if someone was trying to get in, but if I had to leave for even 5 minutes, I would damn sure lock my door.

It is possible that some time in his past he lived in a situation where his privacy was regularly invaded. I wouldn't take it personally.

People lock doors for security.