Jo
Jo asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

In writing, would you say it's a good idea to do outlines of your stories before you write them properly?

I always think it' good to have a rough idea of the beats the stories are going to cover before I write them, but I know a lot of writers who dislike doing them on principle. I guess it can give you decent output, it really depends on the writer at the end of the day. Which approach do you prefer and why?

• Andrew

If you're an inexperienced author, then yes - definitely. If you've been teaching for 20 years you don't need an intricate lesson plan for every class... If you've been painting for 20 years you don't need to sketch your work prior to putting it on the canvas, but if you're new to writing, having a plan - even a basic outline to guide you, is a good idea. 

• Speed

I never outline a short story, just have a vague idea who these people are, what they do, and how that turns out.

For novels I have more details in mind, but as an experienced writer, I rarely do anything as formal as an outline.

That said, though, a whole lot of wanna-be writers' first novels never see completion because they start writing without knowing where they're headed. While this opens the mind to new ideas, it can easily lead to tens of thousands of words taking them to a dead end.

So I strongly recommend outlining (or any other detailed planning method) until a person has completed at least two novels.

I lean more towards the pantser method, but I do have a general idea of beginning, middle, and end before I start writing.