Can you replace Comfortmaster r22 m: 2 ton Condenser  with a r22:  3 ton Trane, Goodman, Carrier brand condenser? ?

Since they are same refrigerants can you replace one brand with another? My old one stopped working. I was gonna buy a used one and call a hvac tech to come replace it. Before I buy it wanted to know if that can be done. 

3 Answers

  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

    yes, all outdoor units can be substituted for each other as long as they use the same refrigerant [R22] and are sufficiently large.  Note that if you put in a larger unit, it may be necessary to upgrade the electrical service as well ... BUT, since newer units are more efficient and use less energy, that may not require doing.  the way you tell is to read the power circuit requirements from the replacement unit's specs and compare to the circuit breaker currently in your panel.  -- grampa   [and yes, an a/c tech is required to make the swap.]

    How you tell if a used unit is any good is far more than I know.  Off hand, the Trane or Carrier brand may have a slightly better quality compressor in it -- that's detail I don't know.  {Goodman owns and makes the Amana brand as well and they use many same parts, including, I believe, the compressor.}

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    No.  Condenser and evaporator (inside unit) has to match (same tonnage) for the system to work right.  It might be time for a complete upgrade.

  • 1 month ago

    NO. You can't install an r-22 unit legally.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.