How can you grade someone in team sports?
Let's say in Basketball this guy made 40/50 passes a game. So on a scale of 1-10, do you grade his passing an 8? (40 divided by 50 is .8) Or there is more to that. It's just my School is wondering if the analytics team on basketball tournaments, which I'm part of can do a grading system of players to help the coach out so he knows his starting 5.
- Anonymous4 months ago
Points per possession is the best stat for basketball because it cuts through a lot of the garbage and just breaks it down to something simple (points) that can be compared.
As far as the passing I don't think that would be a good idea to look at it that way. Some passes are harder than others. A guy who hogs the ball and never passes might be graded as a great passer by that system because the only passes he attempts are very easy. Also, someone who is very skilled at passing might try to force some passes through sometimes and end up with a lower score even though their great passes outnumber their bad ones.
- 4 months ago
1) How many times did the team score when he made a successful pass?
2) Of the 10 bad passes, how many led to the other team scoring on their next possession?
3) When this guy was on the court, how many points did the team score compared to the other team? How does this compare to other players?
4) When this guy was not playing, how many points did the team score compared to the other team (basic WOWY; With Or Without You)?
5) Heatmap by player of shots taken (and made) and the score during each attempt.
- Pearl LLv 74 months ago
i would let the coach grade him