C asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Why new ac unit not blowing cold air? Help?

Bought new window ac unit about a month ago. I keep the coils and filter clean so far. There should be no reason it stops blowing cold air. Literally spent over $400 bucks on this thing. It's worked just fine up until this point. It doesnt shut all the way off, it still shows it's on high, and cool mode, but it stops blowing out cold air and stops making the cooling sound, but remains on, hardly blowing a thing if at all, maybe slight very low noise. I tried to reset it, then it turns on, blows out air, nothing is cooling though, and then it shuts off for a second and kicks back on, repeatedly. Weird! I don't know what to do, i didn't buy a damn protection plan, i've never needed one, now i'm screwed. It's 82 degrees in here. I am pregnant and have a toddler, live in the dead heat of arizona desert. This is B.S. Need help figuring out how to fix it. Please.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • JJ
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Take it back and make them give you another...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You don't need an advanced protection plan. The air conditioner comes with a one-year warranty. Because it's so new contact the store and ask them if they'll trade it. If not contact the manufacturer under the terms of the warranty paperwork and see what they want to do about it. You may have to bring it to a repair station. Nothing breaks in 30 days under normal operation. It sounds like your air conditioner needs to be replaced by the manufacturer.

• 1 month ago

Buy a brand name unit that has a decent warranty. Also, don't buy anything less than 12,000 BTU that typically can handle one room. If you can pick it up yourself, it's too small. Since you are in Arizona, consult neighbors as to the best sized unit to handle the amount of daytime heat. Place it into a window so the back of the unit which radiates the waste heat is in the shade. Make sure there are no obstructions and there is good airflow. Be aware of power requirements. A window unit should be on it's own separate electrical circuit. The wiring should be 12 gauge on a 20 amp circuit breaker. 

• Tj
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Call service, its under warranty.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

China junk stuff.

• 1 month ago

new a month ago and not working?  RMA that dead thing before the return period expires.  And if it already has expired, check maker's website for Q&A plus a support method.  -- Grampa

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If it a month old then its still under a warranty of some sort. A reputable store would probably exchange it for you.  But at the least the A/C is stilll under a manufacturer warranty. With a unit that new I'd be contacting store or manufacturer 

• 1 month ago

Go online and read the instructions. My guess is there are "always on" and "cycle on and off" settings. Or, maybe it is defective and hopefully the manufacturer's warranty is still valid.

• 1 month ago

Return it to the store. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.